Sunday, November 30, 2008

Elfinwild Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Elfinwild Presbyterian Church, 3200 Mt. Royal Blvd., Glenshaw, PA 15116, www.elfinwildchurch.org


Jan's thoughts:


This was our second visit to Elfinwild: we had visited last month before we started blogging, and a friend and co-worker of mine turned out to be the liturgist that week. We were surprised during the following week when someone from the church brought an edible gift to our house (which meant a lot since we're a good half hour's drive away), and my co-worker gave us some homemade chocolate chip cookies - a weakness of mine.


Elfinwild seems like a dichotomy - an old building housing a young-at-heart church. The congregation was quite warm and friendly and not at all hesitant about greeting us as we entered and then again during that time of the service.


The choir was robust, and I appreciated having the words to the anthem and offertory printed in the bulletin, as I was able to see how the theology of the music tied in with the theme of hope for the first Sunday of Advent. I was pleased when the Advent candle was lit - they lit the pink candle, which I personally believe is the correct one for the first Sunday of Advent. (I know there is some disagreement about this, but this is what I was taught.)


Andrew Lesnett did a terrific job as liturgist. I don't know how old he is, but as he gave the Offertory prayer I had a feeling he had written it himself, which his mother confirmed after the service. It was an impressive, mature prayer for someone so young.


The sermon particularly touched me. The Scripture was Matthew 7:24-29 (from the Sermon on the Mount about building one's house on the Rock), and Dirk emphasized the necessity of having a firm foundation WHEN the storms of life come.


Today marks five years since my mother's passing, and when I think of all that's happened since then, particularly the deaths of our son Dan and my dad, I felt God was using Dirk to speak directly to me. It also makes me think of how often Bob & I think we choose where we'll worship on any given week. During the benediction I was reminded again that we go nowhere by accident - wherever we are, we are because God has sent us there.


The bulletin contains LOTS of information; however, it was cumbersome. Early on, after mine slid off my lap, it took some time to figure out what was what again. I'd suggest keeping the Order of Worship on the one folded page and including the rest in the form of unfolded inserts. That way when the bulletin is folded for use during worship it's possible to insert everything inside that's not worship-related and still follow worship. Just a thought, for what it's worth.


There is much going on at this church, both inside their walls and in the community at large. The bulletin also contains a long list of prayer concerns, and people are invited to visit the chapel following worship for private prayer with a Session member. It's always encouraging when church leaders are willing to pray spontaneously with people.


Another issue is signage. Since we usually enjoy a coffee as we drive to church, one of the first things I usually need to find upon arrival is the Ladies Room. As I walked down the hallway I glimpsed a toilet and headed in, but I didn't realize I was in the wrong place until I got through the doorway and saw the urinal. I was a little startled (and glad no one appeared to have seen me!). Only then did I see the sign on the front of the door, but when the door was open the sign wasn't visible. A sign that stuck out from the wall above the room would be helpful. We really only knew the location of the Sanctuary because of our previous visit, and we'd had to explore to locate it then as there were no signs indicating its direction either.


The building is older, and the only handicapped accommodation I noticed was a chair lift. Lots of wood in the Sanctuary gives it a warm feel, and the stained glass is impressive.


I like Elfinwild's people and their pastor, and I won't hesitate to visit again.


Bob's thoughts:


This was a return trip to Elfinwild on the first Sunday of Advent and we received warm greetings and welcome back. Elfinwild has the appearance of being "old" Presbyterian - cathedral ceiling, interesting windows, ornate woodwork, but with a decidedly country warmth. There is a large cross above the chancel - very important to me and sadly lacking in many churches.


Even on our second visit we could have used signage. Rest rooms themselves were marked, but there were no direction signs.


Common-sense thinking went into the need for more hymnal space, with carpet on the bottom of the holder to help with noise. I've seen much more elaborate schemes, but this was a very effective adaptation.


I found the bulletin very confusing, large with a lot of information, but requiring a lot of jumping around.


I was impressed during the passing of the peace, the young people who joined in is a sign of a healthy church.


The acoustics were very good, which is hard to accomplish with church architecture. The organ did tend to drown out the voices - don't know if that was a bad thing, but the passion came across.


I was disappointed that the offering came before the Word.


I felt truly blessed to be present when the pastor's young son Andrew was serving as liturgist. I thought he did an excellent job and was quite pleased to learn that he wrote his own prayer.


Two important thoughts from the sermon (as I heard it): we are called to be Christ followers, not to be like Christ followers, and most importantly, that we are not just given one chance. Our heavenly Father knows our faults and failures and will keep welcoming us back, thanks be unto God.


I don't believe the elements of Communion should ever by offered by telepathy. The words are important and should be stated boldly because it's very personal.


Elfinwild is forming a Technology Team, which seems like an excellent start. They're also opening up ushering and greeting responsibilities to laity, sharing the blessing.


Lastly, I saw some great numbers about missions (I feel the best sign of Christ's healthy church), but could find little mention of what these missions might be.

No comments: