Sunday, February 1, 2009

St. Andrew's United Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at St. Andrew’s United Presbyterian Church, 801 Beaver Street, Sewickley, PA 15143.


Bob’s thoughts:

We were back to St. Andrews for Jan’s sister Wendy’s ordination as a Deacon and were blessed to be there for the laying on of hands. This time it was easier to tell which of the front doors was the entrance as the other stairs were snow-covered.

Attendance seemed not to have suffered, perhaps due to Communion and ordination/installation, but it may also be today’s spring-like weather.

We were warmly greeted as if we’d been there last week.

At first I thought there was an improvement in the acoustics, but it was the speaking of the Liturgist.

Although the organ didn’t change, there was an enjoyable interpretation of “Holy, Holy, Holy Lord God Almighty” on the keyboard.

I was pleased to find Carol Roth as the pastor as I had served with Carol on the Presbytery Stewardship Committee. Unfortunately I had some trouble hearing all the sermon. A highlight from it though was a story about a mother’s efforts to see her special needs child mainstreamed successfully. I believe that often those with special challenges are more in tune with God than others. I believe we are just as indwelt with demons as in Christ’s time on Earth – maybe more so. I’ve been called on to pray to oust demons and errant cells, and I have also wondered about the words Christ used. But I’ve found what we command in Christ’s Name still works. It’s His power, not our words.

I’d love to see the elements of Communion identified when offered by the servers. When they’re offered silently it seems to be more of a chore than a celebration. It also seems like a broken chain when the servers pick up the plates rather than the pastor handing them to the servers. I also appreciated the reference to Christ breaking bread after the resurrection and the eyes of the disciples being opened.

There was a request in the bulletin for flower donations for the Sanctuary for February but there was nothing in the bulletin identifying the donor of the flowers today.


Jan’s thoughts:

Today’s visit to St. Andrew’s was prompted by our learning that my sister Wendy would be ordained and installed as a Deacon today. What a privilege it was to witness her ordination and lay hands and pray for her and for Bob, the Elder who was installed today.

Several folks greeted us immediately upon our arrival, and some even remembered us from our two previous visits. We’re seldom repeat visitors, but that warm greeting of recognition and remembering our names made a significant impression.

It felt a little like “old home week” when I learned that Rev. Carol Divens Roth is now serving as the interim at St. Andrew’s. Carol and I served together on the Presbytery’s Committee on Ministry, and I hold her in high regard despite differences in our theology. I had the opportunity to meet Carol’s husband Mark, and very much enjoyed our conversation.

Most of the same issues we noted in our December 7 blog still exist, and some things may not change in the near future, i.e., the few locations that could use some additional signage, the acoustics, the difficulty understanding everyone except the pastor, the silent service of Communion. But the church is warm, friendly, and caring, and that counts for a lot.

Stephen Wutz, the Student Assistant, led the prayer time after informing the congregation that he would again be available for individual prayer following the service. Not surprisingly, soon after the service ended I noticed a circle of people in prayer at the front of the Sanctuary. This is very encouraging although, as I said, not unexpected. There’s a definite sense of unity among this close-knit congregation.

I enjoyed Carol’s message very much. It was mostly based on Mark 1:21-28 about Jesus’ exorcism of the demons possessing a man. In my experience, pastors seldom preach about such topics, but I think congregations should be educated about spiritual warfare since they face it regularly whether they’re aware of it or not.

Carol pointed out that the Bible doesn’t quote Jesus’ words in His conversation with the demons, and I think the reason for that lies in human nature. After all, look what we did with the Lord’s Prayer. When the disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray, Jesus said, “Pray like this,” not “Say this prayer.” I’m convinced that if we knew the words He used with the demons, human nature being what it is, we’d likely be saying the same words to people we believe to be possessed by demons. And being human, we have neither the insight nor the authority to make that call.

This is a warm little church that felt like it enveloped me with its gentle compassion, and today that was a moving experience for which I thanked God.

No comments: