Sunday, April 19, 2009

Allison Park Church

Today we worshiped at Allison Park Church, 2326 Duncan Avenue, Allison Park, PA 15101, www.allisonparkchurch.com.


Bob’s thoughts:

It’s easy for me to get a feeling of “mega-church” when we worship someplace new. Today was a larger facility with lots of parking. Very open greeting area, good signage, large welcome area with coffee and doughnuts. We were welcomed by the greeter at the entrance as well as a number of others. The Sanctuary boasts two large projection screens in front and one on the rear wall, which I’ve always thought was an excellent idea.

Most of the music was louder than I thought it should be, but there was a definite passion in the congregation’s singing. It was worship.

A paging system is utilized for the nursery. A large cross is mounted off to the left of the stage almost like an afterthought. This church obviously employs a good business administrator (efficient layout, anticipation of visitors’ needs, etc.). There was an informality to the worship and those who were identified as pastors wore jeans. Still, the sense of family closeness was unexpected.

The offering was taken after the sermon, but my impression was that that was out of the ordinary as he made it a point to announce it would be done that way today. The church was focusing on single parents, a ministry close to my heart. The sermon related well to some of the problems faced by single parents but also to the rest of us. We all, like Paul, ask God to remove the thorn from our side and don’t want to hear its purpose. I thought Pastor Jeff delivered the message effectively with fine illustrations.

The church is probably still too loud and busy for my worship needs, but the Word of God is preached there and done well.


Jan’s thoughts:

Having been invited to Allison Park (Assembly of God) Church by a co-worker, for a change we knew by Tuesday of last week where we’d be attending church today. Still, it never ceases to amaze me all the various ways God uses to get us where He wants us each week.

The building is quite large, and I must admit I’ve never before seen a church with its own parking garage. Greeters stood immediately inside the front doors of the sizeable Concourse. The signage was large and abundant, so it was unnecessary to ask for the location of restrooms or anything else. To the right of the entrance was a good-sized room with tables, chairs, and refreshments in the form of coffee, tea, and donuts.

Further in was a staffed information desk offering “new member” literature. Opposite it was a coat room with restrooms on either side. I can’t speak for the men’s room, but the ladies’ was spacious, well-maintained, and generously stocked with necessary items.

I was greeted by someone whom my co-worker had informed of our visit, but she was probably the only person there who knew for certain that we were visitors. In a congregation large enough to require one Saturday evening service and two Sunday morning services, identifying visitors is seldom possible, so I was surprised and impressed.

There is a well-equipped nursery-type room off the Concourse for little ones, and we enjoyed watching them through the windows.

The general atmosphere is welcoming with an emphasis on serving members and an open desire to get people “plugged in” to a group. A welcome brochure, nicely done on good, tri-folded 8 ½ x14 paper lists the church’s vision, pastoral staff (of 11!), summary of ministries by age groups, the weekly schedule, a welcome from the senior pastor, and an outline of how the church can help one to reach one’s full potential in Christ. We were also given a small book written by Andy Stanley, “Since Nobody’s Perfect…How Good is Good Enough?” which I plan to read.

The Sanctuary was similar to other churches this size: large with a huge screen on each side of the stage and comfortable padded chairs. I counted 12 musicians, and they sounded wonderful – but also loud. Maybe it’s me, but I’m beginning to wonder if I’m the only one for whom the decibel level is an issue at larger, non-traditional churches. Perhaps it’s the acoustics, or maybe I’m having more trouble with my ears than in the past. In any event I was glad we sat toward the back but wished I’d felt comfortable enough to move even further back.

The congregation was enthusiastic and animated with many worshipers waving their hands in the air and/or jumping or bouncing around. I knew I was not in a PC(USA) church.

The message was part of a series entitled “When the Fasten the Seatbelt Sign Comes On” (a great title, I thought!) subtitled “Part 3 – Relational Confusion.” It was based on 2 Corinthians 12:7-10 where Paul refers to his thorn in the flesh, specifically verse 9 when he states, “But he said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.’” (I’m with the pastor in his love for this verse!)

I first heard this verse when I was much younger and unable to comprehend the meaning at all; however over the years and the intervening events in my life, I believed I had grasped it. However this message took my understanding of this verse one step further. At one point the pastor had everyone verbalize a sentence with him, a statement that convicted me deeply:

“Stop trying to get an exit strategy for something God is trying to lead you through.”
What I heard from this message is: accept my life for what it is and let God do with me and my life what He will; God’s grace IS sufficient.

The church is unlike Presbyterian churches in many ways, but I believe the theology was right on. And I think I’ll tape that sentence to my mirror and several other places where I’ll see it regularly.

No comments: