Sunday, October 4, 2009

Mosaic Community Church

Today we worshiped at Mosaic Community Church, 2801 North Charles Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15214, www.mosaicpittsburgh.com, Rev. Saleem Ghubril, Pastor.


Bob’s thoughts:

We were grateful for the opportunity to transport a friend to worship at Mosaic. Frequently at contemporary worship services the volume is up high (a need to feel and hear the music perhaps?). Today I was very sensitive to the volume and went outside for the praise music. Perhaps it was due to recalibrating the sound system, but the audio at the beginning of the sermon seemed to go in and out. As always, I was disappointed that the offering was taken before the Word instead of allowing the offering to be a response to the Word.

The sermon was from Zechariah 8 on the restoration of Israel. An interesting emphasis with the repetition of “Thus says the Lord of Almighty.” Zechariah leaves no doubt Whose message he is delivering. Saleem developed this into a questioning of “why am I here? Am I existing and just going through the motions or accomplishing for Christ?”


Jan’s thoughts:

It is always a joy to visit Mosaic. The enthusiasm and friendly atmosphere make it such a comfortable place to visit, and it’s always uplifting to see good friends in Christ.

We arrived a little late so the music was underway, but we were still in time to sing a song that never fails to bring me to tears, “It is Well With My Soul.” Horatio Spafford’s haunting hymn was part of the music at church the day following the death of our son Dan, and for the rest of my life I’ll recall standing between two dear friends as they literally held me up and told me the history of this hymn while the three of us mourned our loss.

The final verse:
And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Music is such a vital part of worship. I may not be able to sing, but I can certainly appreciate the words.

This was only the second time I’ve heard Saleem preach, and he is very engaging. As a friend observed, “he started out slow but the message was powerful.” It revolved around remembering one’s purpose, and for someone who was never quite sure of their purpose, it was still thought-provoking. However even without knowing the ultimate purpose of one’s life, one can still make it a point to remember one’s purpose in a given place at a specific time. Maybe that’s how one finds one’s purpose after all.

No comments: