Sunday, November 22, 2009

Aliquippa Christian Assembly

Today we worshiped at Aliquippa Christian Assembly, 166 West Shaffer Road, Aliquippa, PA 15001, 724.775.9101, www.aliquippachristianassembly.org, John J. Bannon, Pastor.


Bob’s thoughts:

We followed someone in from the parking lot and were amazed by the lack of signage, but we were quickly greeted and welcomed. We were given welcome bags and directions to the Sanctuary and restrooms.

With a minimal look around we entered the Sanctuary for the prayer time from 9:30 till 10. It is a very comfortable Sanctuary with a large cross inlaid in the wall. A number of people came by to welcome us. I was impressed that an usher came forward twice to remove an aisle chair to make room for a wheelchair.

There is wide spacing between the rows of chairs, allowing the ushers to walk through for the offering, which was taken early. I wonder if Communion is served the same way.

I came to realize that as a visitor I would appreciate having at least an approximate order of worship. It is nice to know when the offering will be taken, etc. so I can be prepared. There is a visual paging system for the nursery, and I believe this is the first church I’ve ever been in that has no piano or organ in evidence. The service started with less than 50, but by the second song there were 100+.

I found it odd during the announcement on Christmas dinner that it would be free for members but guests would be charged.

I was disappointed that the Scripture readings weren’t projected on the screens; I guess we’ve gotten used to seeing a lot more than the words of the songs up there.

There is an overlap of praise and prayer comments (“Amen, pastor!”) that makes a lot of the service hard for me to understand and follow. Seemed like a lot of small conversations going on also, and the pastor’s voice trailed off at the end of each sentence, which didn’t help. There were a couple of poor “jokes” that were retold several times. Before we left there were at least 7 Scripture readings in the sermon, which I think was about our bondage in the trials we face. It seemed a very informal sermon, like a personal conversation with some of the congregation. Although a welcoming congregation, I sense visitors would feel like outsiders because of the style of the service.

I don’t know the history, seems like this may be a church made up by the pastor. During the message the pastor commented that the congregation wasn’t praying enough for him as he was having problems. I felt a real lack of pastoral sense, no humility in preaching. I thought perhaps this is a pastor with little theological training.


Jan’s thoughts:

Today we felt led to this non-denominational church, and I’m still not sure why. I went seeking an answer and hoping for a word from God, but left this place with more questions than when I arrived.

When it comes to worship style, I’ve experienced plenty of traditional, a lot of contemporary, and some that borders on Pentecostal. This church falls into the last category. I have to think God is pleased with all true worship, and far be it from me to say whether any worship is true. That is God’s job.

The building is obviously quite new, with decorative gray blocks accented by matching orange ones, with the pattern continuing inside. Both the narthex and Sanctuary were sparsely decorated, giving the area a somewhat cool feel. The “Chancel,” however, was very warmly decorated but was used much more as a stage. There was a cross (in the orange blocks against the background of gray blocks and lit from the floor), a pair of matching wingback chairs, four decorative trees strung with white lights, and a modern looking pulpit. The chairs were comfortable and arranged to provide plenty of legroom.

Upon our arrival we were greeted warmly by many people and each given a gift bag containing a welcome brochure, a daily Bible reading calendar, a copy of the Shepherd’s Guide, a tract, and a CD (or DVD) of a recent service, as well as a mug and a pen. All in all a very generous visitor’s gift.

Numerous people spoke to us, introducing themselves, shaking hands, and pointing out the Sanctuary and the restrooms. There was no printed bulletin. When we entered the Sanctuary 5 or 6 people were walking all around praying aloud for various members and a range of concerns as well as for the service.

Up to this point there was nothing really wrong and several that seemed very right. Then the preacher began to speak, and things went south in a hurry.

I know, really, nothing about this “pastor,” I did not meet him and I had not heard of him before today. The website comes very close to crediting him with founding this church. I found nothing about his education or any other credentials.

However, I can state my opinion about his style and approach, which I found to be arrogant, cynical, narcissistic, sarcastic, and self-pitying. We left during the sermon and I have no desire whatever to have anything further to do with this organization.

1 comment:

Sharon said...

PRAY for that congregration! Your thoughts and feelings about the pastor are correct, trust me. It's been many years since I have attended there, and it is sad that nothing has changed. very sad.