Friday, November 27, 2009

Thanksgiving Eve Worship

On Thanksgiving Eve we worshiped at the Baden-Conway-Economy Ministerium Community Thanksgiving Service hosted by Our Lady of Peace Catholic Parish, Conway. 


Bob’s thoughts: 

 We normally don’t blog when we attend a community service, but there was something special about the Thanksgiving Ecumenical worship service held at Our Lady of Peace. One of the things that made I special was a dream I had the night before. 

 Years ago we attended another community Thanksgiving service and found that though the Jewish people were free to talk about their faith, we could not mention Jesus. I guess this experience was heavy on my mind. 

In my dream, when this imposition was again announced, I stood up in the middle of the congregation until I was allowed to speak. My short speech stated only that my overwhelming thanks was for Jesus and that if I couldn’t acknowledge Him alive then nor could my son be alive. In my dream I then turned and left and most others followed suit. 

I am happy to say no such statement was made at Wednesday’s service. I never would have given it a conscious thought, but in my dream the wall was blue, and at Our Lady of Peace, the rear wall of the Chancel was four shades of blue. Thus the memory of the dream flooded back as soon as I walked into the church for the first time and saw the wall. 

I must say, I’ve never had a problem finding a cross in a Catholic church, and the prominent crucifix against the blue framed by wood carved sides was very powerful. 

Like most churches we visit, we never know what the norm is and what might be just for that service, but I was pleased that the offering was in response to the Word and that it was given to benefit the Uncommon Grounds in Aliquippa. 

We also had very enjoyable, meaningful conversations before and after the service. I especially enjoyed (no surprise to anyone who knows me) the Children’s Choir. They sang very well, sounded great, and were well-directed. I was impressed that they sang with their mouths open, they appeared poised while singing, and that they watched the director. They were a joy to experience. The combined adult choir was excellent also, but my heart was won by the children. 

They also joined hands during the Lord’s Prayer. During the message the pastor talked of visiting someone in the hospital suffering with an incurable illness but who prayed with nothing but gratitude. I smiled when he spoke of his prayer ending and the patient picking up immediately where he left off. I was reminded of an occasion where I called my wife to join me to lay hands and pray for a dear elderly friend and how, when we finished our prayer, our friend held on to our hands and prayed the most eloquent, heartfelt prayer for us. 

His words also brought to mind a woman to whom we tried to minister who was so overwhelmed by disease that she was constantly in excruciating pain. She would pray for every member of the church and for anyone else she heard of who needed prayer. I will always remember her crying because the pain was so intense, then quickly apologizing and going back to prayer. 

 Never think there is nothing you can do; never miss the joy, the chance for heartfelt prayer. 


Jan’s thoughts: 

 This is different! Usually, when we write our blog entries, I type mine as Bob handwrites his. When mine says what I want it to say, only then do I type Bob’s. Consequently, it feels quite odd to know what he is saying prior to composing my part. So I’m going to be adventurous here… 

 I knew nothing of Bob’s dream until after we left, so I simply appreciated the Sanctuary for how it looked, which was dramatic. The four shades of blue with a huge crucifix surrounded by what looked like sun rays made a vivid presentation. 

 Prior to the service we had a powerful conversation with a Lutheran pastor, and we both felt called to attend her church on Sunday. This should be interesting – I’ve never gone to a Lutheran church before. 

 Our Lady of Grace Church is the home church of a neighbor family, and while mom and dad sang in the choir and older brother conducted the children’s choir in which a younger sister took part, we sat with younger brother and sister. It was great to visit with the kids some as well as help put mom and dad’s minds at ease. 

 After the service we enjoyed the hospitality extended in the form of home baked cookies and other refreshments. 

 I appreciated the opportunity to worship at a time when I was feeling especially grateful to God for His bountiful blessings, so I was very thankful to go to church.

No comments: