Monday, December 7, 2009

Providence Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Providence Presbyterian Church, 9019 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax, VA 22031, 703.978.3934, www.providencechurch.org, Rev. Dr. Michael P. Burns, Pastor, and Rev. Mary E. Rodgers, Associate Pastor.


Bob’s thoughts:

We attended Providence for our granddaughter’s baptism. We were early but parking appears more than adequate. This weekend we experienced one of the rare early snowfalls in Virginia, and while the parking area was plowed and salted and most walkways were cleared, one large section of walk was snow-covered. There was little signage outside, but good direction inside. We got to tour a little but this is a large facility and I’m sure we missed a lot.

I don’t recall being welcomed in particular beyond the passing of the peace, but almost all we saw gave a welcoming smile. I think most churches with more than one service just think they haven’t met you.

We saw some outstanding banners on burlap and “stained glass” panels on Plexiglas in the youth area. Very well done bulletin boards and displays. There is a table decorated with poinsettias in the narthex with cards to be signed and sent to those serving in the military. The table is directly under a domed skylight that was partially snow-covered…very cool – no pun intended. There were quite a few military listed in the bulletin.

I was pleased to see so many references to mission and an apparently active youth contingent.

We worshiped at the contemporary service and I was pleased with how many children I saw besides our grandchildren - always a sign of a healthy church. The offering was taken in response to the Word, and I don’t know if there was a large cross in front as the screen was down.

We learned after the service as the chairs were being moved and tables set up that we were in a multipurpose room and the Sanctuary was elsewhere. We did find the Sanctuary later: it was very tastefully decorated. Hope to return sometime to hear the impressive-looking organ.

The Elders were well trained in Communion service and offered the elements verbally. The bulletin covered both services and had many inserts which I found a bit confusing. I was blessed to hold my latest granddaughter during the service, so my notes taken during the sermon were unreadable. I had previously handed another granddaughter off to Jan for the service, so we were both so blessed.

There was a large display of literature dealing with abuse, domestic violence, neglect, etc., including the congregation’s response to these issues. I hope to check out this information on our next visit.

Another highlight was a notice in the bulletin of the shawl ministry, different than most: “You are welcome to borrow one if the service area feels cool to you on Sunday morning.”

There were a lot of positive aspects about this church and I am very glad we have family worshiping here.



Jan’s thoughts:

First the disclaimer: We – along with the rest of our family – visited Providence for the baptism of our granddaughter, Ashton. Consequently, there were some, shall we say, distractions during the service, albeit very loving ones!

This church building is quite large and very well laid out. A great deal of obvious thought was given during the planning, and I must believe some members possess extraordinary gifts in decorating, because it presents quite a beautiful appearance. One thing after another appealed to my sense of organization:
Upon entering the welcome area I noticed a large table with poinsettias arranged in a vertical fashion. On the table were greeting cards (Christmas, probably) with pens for members to sign;
A perfect little coat room;
All sorts of bulletin boards for all the activities of the church (youth, upcoming events, service opportunities, Logos, adult education, financial commitment, prayer ministries, missions) which coincide with the categories in the bulletin. Also various literature racks quite attractively laid out containing information about just about anything in the church and community;
Excellent signage allowed us to find our way around, with my lack of directional sense my only hindrance;
A gorgeous conventional Sanctuary for the traditional service and a well-appointed fellowship hall hosts the contemporary service.

OK, enough about the building. What about the church? It’s always different when we attend church with our children. There was a time when the church we attended accepted our children as an extension of us; now when we visit our children’s churches, I have a sense that we are accepted as an extension of them.

The people were friendly in spite of somewhat limited opportunities since Bob and I were holding little ones throughout. Immediately after worship one of the women introduced herself and gave me nametags for both of us.

The worship music was fantastic: the praise band is so gifted and not just musically. After worship I watched as our 4-year-old grandson Luke, who just loves guitars and music (especially country music), slowly walked toward the stage awestruck by the sight of the instruments. One of the guitar players, Chris, thoughtfully brought his guitar down to Luke’s level and let him strum it. Afterward Luke hugged the guitar and I sincerely thanked Chris for his kindness.

The sermon, “A Piece of Peace,” centered on the hope of finding some peace in this season. I had a 2-year-old on my lap throughout the service so I know some of what I heard did not stick (OK, much of it slid out of my memory…), but there was one line that stuck with me: “Joy has a much longer shelf life than happiness.” There’s a lot of truth in that. We tend to make happiness our goal, but happiness is transitory and often situation-based. Joy takes a lot more effort to find, but it also lasts a lot longer. And the best part is that it’s based on Someone Who, once you find Him, will never let you go.

I look forward to visiting this church again, although it is a bit of a commute.

No comments: