Sunday, August 29, 2010

Home

Today, as Jan was not feeling well, we worshiped at home


Bob’s thoughts:

Health concerns kept us from visiting today, so we listened to some sermons by Dan Merry at Southminster.

One of them struck me as being related to “Back to the Future” – we all want to know what our future holds for us, and I admit to asking God, “What do You want me to do for the rest of my life?” and eventually, in the silence, I came to ask, “God, what do You want me to do right now?” I’ve gotten comfortable leaving my future where it has always been, in God’s capable hands.

Not trying to poke fun but another brought to mind “I’ll be back.” This was the original “I’ll be back” from Jesus Christ.

Another from John reminded me of “Our God is an Awesome God.” By then I was soaking my hands to lessen the garden stains and couldn’t make any more notes.

Dan’s sermons are always uplifting and I get a lot from them but couldn’t help miss the rest of the service.


Jan’s thoughts:

I’m so grateful to be able to spend time hearing the Word preached even when I’m not well enough to be in church. Computers have been known to give us fits occasionally, but sometimes they can be a blessing.

Today we listened to several sermons delivered by Rev. Dan Merry, Senior Pastor at Southminster Presbyterian Church in Mt. Lebanon. I always enjoy Dan’s sermons and they usually speak to me at some level. This morning I learned/was reminded of the following truths:


1 – Hope wins. (I plan to write this one where I’ll see it daily!)
2 – God is greater than our temptations, our sins, and our scars.
3 – The women who followed Jesus and ministered to Him knew what it meant to be liberated.
4 – Freedom means: feeling good about every part of our lives; being an initiator, not a victim; and choosing the right master, and that surrender is good IF we are surrendering ourselves to the love and care of God.
5 – None of the Fruits of the Spirit are dependent on outside influences.
6 – Three tough (and vital) questions are: Who am I? Why am I here? And, where does my power come from?

While my body heals, my mind and spirit were nourished.

No comments: