Sunday, November 28, 2010

First Presbyterian Church of Sharon

Today we worshiped at First Presbyterian Church of Sharon, 600 E. State Street, Sharon, PA 16146, 724.981.2211, www.1stpcs.org, Rev. Dr. Glenn Hink, Senior Pastor.


Bob’s thoughts:

I have said that I am not surprised how Christ uses us in this ministry or how we have been re-directed, to His glory, in our efforts, but I still am amazed when the focus changes.

We chose a church that was near a hospital where we needed to make a visit. Ministering to someone who is seriously ill was how God was using us today, but I got to experience a meaningful Advent worship service.

When we arrived at the church, it was quiet and the Sanctuary was empty. I thought the website time was wrong till I found a bulletin that referred to an 8:30 worship. We heard singing and assumed it was a choir rehearsal, but when we went to investigate we found the early service underway in a small chapel area off of the main Sanctuary.

We didn’t get to look around much, but this church could use some signage. The Sanctuary has truly amazing stained glass and wood work.

The men’s room that I found had a wallpaper border strip with a wildlife motif. (I can imagine today’s hunters studying the deer, with buck season starting tomorrow.) However, there is a grade in that hallway that took me by surprise and would benefit from some stripes or anti-slip strips.

I found the bulletin a little confusing. Worship was a Chrismon Service. The intermingled message Scripture and song were effective in presenting Christ’s birth and mission. The symbolism behind partaking of the Communion bread when served and taking the cup together was explained. Although Communion was served silently, when I heard someone else in the rear also state what they were serving, it warmed my heart.

I didn’t doubt that the music dated to the 17th century, but there was an enjoyable rendition of the “Carol of the Bells” during the offertory.

The Advent candle was lit from a box of kitchen matches, and while it seems odd to notice this, those matches were a staple in my house when I was young. They were used to light the pot belly stove, our lamps, and candles. A simple thing that made me feel at home.

The Advent message was God’s focus for me this morning, and the man we went to see off is not afraid to meet his Master…he is looking forward to Christ.



Jan’s thoughts:

This building is a beautiful, very old, building, with the most impressively intricate stained glass I have seen anywhere. The windows are huge, the floor is like polished brick, and the ceiling boasts unique, detailed wood work.

For many years this church presented the “Boar’s Head and Yule Log Festival” each January, which I attended once many years ago. They took a hiatus for a time, and this coming January will again present this festive, symbolic production. (If you’d like to see some photos of the Sanctuary and last year’s festival, use the link above to visit the church’s website and on the homepage click on this event as it scrolls through the box on the left. They are definitely worth the time, and you’ll see what I mean about the Sanctuary – a truly distinctive structure!)

It was dark when we arrived, and we saw no signage, so we followed the sounds of singing, which led us to a chapel immediately adjacent to the Sanctuary. In this intimate setting we found 15-20 people in worship, and we joined them. I wished we had not been late.

There was no sermon; instead it was a Chrismon Service. This was new to me, so the explanatory paragraphs in the bulletin were helpful. Communion was also celebrated, and only slightly differently than I’ve seen before. I was grateful for the pastor’s explanation prior to beginning: he indicated that the bread would be served first and the congregation should partake when they receive it to indicate the individual nature of each person’s relationship with Christ. Then the cup would be served, and this should be held until all had received it and everyone would drink together to indicate the commonality of our faith. (Some of the words may not be exactly right, but the meaning is there.)

The people were friendly, with more than a few greeting us following worship. One staff member spent a good deal of time talking with us and we learned we had a great deal in common. We have agreed to keep in touch via email, which I look forward to.

Perhaps one day God will bring us back for the 10:30 a.m. service…or maybe even the Boar’s Head Festival!

No comments: