Sunday, December 5, 2010

Valley Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Valley Presbyterian Church, 237 Main Street, Imperial, PA 15126, 724.695.0300, www.valleychurchweb.com, Rev. Jeri-Lynne Bouterse, Pastor.


Bob’s thoughts:

Again God led us to where He wanted us to be, and today I learned not to write the name of the church on our offering check until we know which church He has us in.

Some things I noted: a major improvement in signage, the restrooms have been remodeled, the children’s message was projected on the front screen, well done (i.e., easy-to-use) bulletin. This church has impressive stained glass, and I realized there is something very calming about the colorations in the glass.

The choral introit sounded like the worship and praise I believe it was intended to convey. Some places, I have heard it presented sounding more like a funeral dirge.

The church was nicely decorated for Advent and I enjoyed the children lighting the candles. The children’s message seemed to go a little long.

The congregation seemed very attentive to the message: do we welcome all as Christ did? Maybe more of WDJD…can we do more of what He did?

This congregation seems poised to go forward with Christ’s leading for Valley Church. They seem ready to make a difference for Christ, and I’m sure the Devil is watching and planning his attack. I pray the members will be strong in Christ, and I look forward to the exciting ministry to come.


Jan’s thoughts:

I had wondered if God could still “misdirect” us if we used the GPS, and today that question was answered with a resounding “YES!”

I mapped out the route to the church we planned to attend, but the printed directions led us directly to a dead end. (For the record, I hate to include these details…I’m really a very capable person, but when God wants us somewhere besides where we are headed, He always manages to win. Duh…I’m learning…)

So, we ended up at Valley where our friend Jeri-Lynne is the pastor. This church remains a friendly one; people greeted us before, during, and after the service.

The Sanctuary is aesthetically pleasing, and it doesn’t hurt that the carpet is a deep purple (which I love), with almost-matching pew cushions. The walls are a soothing neutral shade, and the stained glass is lovely. The Chancel is asymmetrical, but balanced. The Christmas decorations were charming also, with all the colors working well together.

Instead of a photo of the church building adorning the front of the bulletin, it was printed with children’s hand-decorated embellishments. What a great way to include the youth in this season of celebration.

The choir was sweet-sounding and joyful.

The Message for Young Christians was immediately followed by the Lighting of the Advent Candles, and both were displayed on the front wall so all present could see.

The sermon, “Waiting for a Welcome Sign,” was based on Isaiah 11:1-10 and Romans 15:4-13 and centered around the unconditional welcome Christ extended to everyone with whom He came into contact. The question is, should we do less?

Communion was celebrated by intinction, and the servers spoke as we partook. Bob comments on this often, but today I noticed myself how much it meant to hear the words. I’ve come to the conclusion that he’s right, the Sacrament is more powerful when I am reminded that these elements represent the body and blood of our Lord Jesus Christ who died for me…even me.

No comments: