Sunday, January 2, 2011

Our Savior's Lutheran Church

Today we worshiped at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, 2147 Ridge Road Ext., Ambridge, PA 15003, 724.266.1169, www.lutheransonline.com/christoursaviors, Rev. Jill E. McGregor, Pastor.


Bob’s thoughts:

It is interesting when we get to revisit a church. On a first visit I try to remember to note the atmosphere and surroundings of the church and make note of unusual features, and while this church has great woodwork and stained glass, today I was free to just absorb the atmosphere. The other aspect of revisiting: it leaves me more time to pray for the church and pastor.

I am not well versed in Lutheran worship, but there was a lot of liturgy and, pleasantly, Scripture. Today’s sermon wove the Nicene Creed with John 1, how the Creed amplified the words of John’s Gospel of Christ.

We were warmly welcomed and greeted, and the congregation seemed to interact well, but I didn’t sense much passion. The service seemed rushed to include all the required elements. After hearing several sermons from this pastor I believe there would be great benefit to restructuring the service to allow a longer sermon and ignite the passion.


Jan’s thoughts:

This past week I was hit hard with the stomach bug that was circulating so, for my first trip outdoors since last Tuesday we opted for a repeat visit to a church that is close to home.

This is a lovely little rural church, very friendly and welcoming, and still decorated so charmingly for Christmas. The Sanctuary boasts a circular stained glass window on the rear Chancel wall and lighter-colored stained glass throughout.

The liturgy still seems strange to me (a lifelong Presbyterian), but after three visits to Lutheran churches, I’m beginning to catch on.

Although there were plenty of Scripture readings – a good thing. The untitled sermon was mostly centered on the first 18 verses of the Gospel of John, my favorite. After referring to Joseph as Jesus’ adoptive father, the pastor noted that this Gospel mentioned nothing about shepherds, a manger, swaddling cloths, or wise men. It only speaks of Jesus’ identity, unity with the Father, and His purpose, i.e., for us to receive grace and be transformed.

This being a Lutheran Church, Martin Luther figured prominently in the teaching, and I learned that Luther believed that, even with everything else he believed was wrong with the church in his time, the creeds were something that was right and should be kept. She then proceeded to read portions of the Apostle’s Creed and identify the Scripture backing up those statements. Luther said that “The Bible is the cradle that holds the Christ.” I like that, but I think I’m still Presbyterian at heart.

No comments: