Sunday, January 16, 2011

Riverview United Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Riverview United Presbyterian Church, 3505 Perrysville Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15214, 412.321.7300, www.riverviewupchurch.org, Rev. Kellie Weekley Mills, Pastor.


Bob’s thoughts:

We heard of a pastor who may be in need of a bone marrow transplant. I knew this church but had never worshiped there; however, I found that I’m too old and beat up to be considered.

The service was underway when we arrived at the Sanctuary, but we got to slip in via the front door during the Passing of the Peace.

The Sanctuary has grand stained glass, an ornate wood ceiling and Chancel. The Sanctuary is so large that it looked emptier than it was.

The Student Minister presented the sermon well, as the rest of the service. She seemed very comfortable, especially with the prayer requests.

I wondered if the organ was so loud because of the few people to sing, or vice versa. During “I’ve Got Peace Like a River” it was much better balanced.

I sensed an inward-focused church that would like to be more involved with the community, and noted a thrift store/food bank in the newsletter. I would encourage them to take Jesus out to the neighbors.

What I heard sung by the choir were good choices for a strong bass section. Their passion came through and sounded strong.

After last week I didn’t know what to expect from my prayer time for the church, but it was normal. I felt called to pray for their ministry to their neighbors and prayed for the pastor’s health.

We were greeted by a few people after the service and were given a welcome sheet.

There was a retired (I believe) minister there to serve Communion and the congregation came forward to partake, but I was disappointed that the elements were offered silently.


Jan’s thoughts:

At first I thought this building was confusing, as I walked in through a side door and the only option was to enter the elevator. However, the signage was very good, and the people were friendly and helpful.

The Sanctuary is beautiful, with unique stained glass windows, an elegant Chancel, comfortable pews, and an interesting ceiling.

The bulletin was arranged well, readable, and stapled in the center with no extra sheets to contend with.

The choir sounded marvelous, with plenty of volume. I was heartened to hear that this church celebrates Communion weekly. We were told this began some time ago and the Session chose to continue following the departure of that pastor.

We arrived late and walked into the Sanctuary during the Passing of the Peace, which wasn’t entirely bad since we ended up entering through a door at the front of the Sanctuary.

The pastor of this church has been diagnosed with leukemia, and today the Central Blood Bank was set up in Fellowship Hall accepting donations and applications to be tested to donate bone marrow for Rev. Mills. With no real idea of the size of the congregation, it looked like a relatively good turnout. (On a personal note, if you are inclined to give blood for this cause, or be tested as a possible bone marrow donor, I’d urge you to do so. This pastor has been through ringer and could use all the help possible.)
The Student Minister, Rebecca Siddle, led worship quite capably. Her time with the children was sweet and she seemed to have a natural affinity for them. She talked about measuring things and how impossible it is to measure God’s kindness toward us. A difficult concept, but the children seemed to grasp the point.

The sermon, “Immeasurably More,” was based on Isaiah 49:1-4 and Matthew 3:13-17. She began with a personal story about her reluctance to impose ashes during last year’s Ash Wednesday service, and her ability to relate to John the Baptist’s feeling of unworthiness when Jesus came to him to be baptized.

She stated that Matthew 3:15, when Jesus says to John “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness” could be paraphrased “Suspend your rational thinking for the moment because God is doing something more than you could begin to understand.” I liked that.

“Then John consented.” He let go of his need for humility…and “we need to let go of humility that prevents us from doing what God asks.”

She pointed out that “our humility often protects us from our fears.” If, in the name of humility, we do not step out and do a thing God is asking us to do, because then we don’t have to risk failure, or change, or the judgment of others. Our “humility” has protected us.

What if we decide we don’t need to protect ourselves from these things? That we “don’t need our needs? What fills us up?” The answer, of course, is “God’s Spirit, power, and fullness,” as we allow Him to use us as He sees fit, to the extent He wishes, doing His work and will.

All I could think was, “Yes, that’s what I want.” I’ve been convicted of hiding behind my fears and needs and telling God how He can and cannot use me. Ouch. This sermon will be on my mind this week, and this pastor will be in my prayers for some time to come. Yours too, I hope.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Bob and Jan,
Though it has taken me a few weeks to get back to you...we were so glad to have had you with us in worship! What a fascinating calling you have upon your hearts, visiting different churches as the Spirit leads. Please know you are welcome at Riverview ANY time. And Jan, I'm so glad the sermon meant something to you personally.
Blessings,
Becca Siddle