Sunday, February 6, 2011

Deer Creek United Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Deer Creek United Presbyterian Church, 33 Bairdford Road, Gibsonia, PA 15044, 724.443.1355, Rev. Terry Stoops, Pulpit Supply.


Bob’s thoughts:

We received a warm welcome today and for the most part found necessary signage, which was a good start to the day. We got to hear some of the current history of the church but were also allowed to speak, which does not always happen.

I was pleased that there was a large wooden cross centered between two pretty stained glass windows and was surprised that I noted the lack of a pew pad. I guess we have had comfy seats for a while; probably wouldn’t have noticed if it wasn’t cold.

The children’s message was longer than the children’s attention span. I wondered if the organ/piano was loud because there were only 30 or so worshipers. Does it compensate for lack of volume in voice? I noticed if I looked up from the hymnal I had trouble finding my place, being unable to hear what was being sung. I have been told God loves when we sing, even those like me who can’t. The four-person choir did a great job and I could hear some of them over the music.

I sensed humility in the sermon. I thought the message was put together and delivered well and truly felt God using the pastor to deliver a personal message to us. The idea of closing the gate behind us to disappointment, past guilt, and injustices in our lives is good advice for all.

I read another sermon from this pastor which I appreciated and enjoyed. I was grateful for the opportunity to pray for this pastor and church.


Jan’s thoughts:

I was somewhat confused upon arriving here, as the only vehicles were in the back of the building, but I was very grateful for a sandwich board sign indicating the correct door to use to enter the Sanctuary.

This is a small church that lost their pastor a year or so ago due to illness. Since then they have been alternating between two pulpit supply pastors: Rev. Terry Stoops and Rev. Dick Moreledge. Today Rev. Stoops supplied the pulpit.

I noticed only a few directional signs inside the building.

We were warmly welcomed by folks who took time to chat and tell us about their church.

The Sanctuary is pretty but felt sparse. The stained glass windows on the sides contained much darker colors than the two on the rear wall of the Chancel, which were lighter in shade but similarly intricate in design. Above each stained glass window was a panel heralding one of the Beatitudes.

The bulletin contained no inserts and was printed in large, easy-to-read type.

A surprising number of children (I would guess about eight) came forward for the Moment with Our Children, which seemed longer than usual.

The sermon, entitled “Shut the Gate,” was based on Philippians 3:12-14. He told about being raised by his grandparents, and how he could still today hear his grandmother shouting after him every time he would run outside and through the fence, “Shut the gate!” This Scripture made him think of three “gates” in our lives that should be closed behind us: first is the gate of disappointment, second is the gate of resentment, and the third is the gate of past guilt. Hanging on to disappointment, resentment, and past guilt is never a good thing, and I could not agree more.

No comments: