Sunday, February 13, 2011

Natrona Heights Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Natrona Heights Presbyterian Church, 1428 Broadview Blvd., Natrona Heights, PA 15065, 724.224.7338, www.nh-pc.org, Rev. R. Cameron Malcolm IV, Pastor.


Bob’s thoughts:

This morning I was remembering how many different churches I went to with my family while I was growing up. Gas was cheap, so I don’t think that was why my dad kept changing. Perhaps the travel time, but most were within a block or two of our house. My mother wondered if maybe one church had more pretty girls. But I noticed today when we got home from church that the trip was over 80 miles. There were pretty girls and cute children, and I find now that I have grandchildren I enjoy the younger ones the most.

The church was decorated for Christmas (until Lent) and historical flags on the side walls for Scout Day made for a very colorful Sanctuary. There was minimal signage, but we were early and had time to explore a bit. There was interesting woodwork and a large cross on the wall.

We were offered a bulletin that I thought might contain an Order of Worship, but turned out to be just calendar and news. I couldn’t find anything about mission supported by the church other than an effort for Habitat for Humanity.

We came for the early service, which was their contemporary worship. Usually contemporary worship has a lot of passion, but such was not the case here. I wondered if some of the Praise Band was missing. I don’t know if the congregation affects the band or vice versa.

I appreciated that the silent confession time was long enough for a sinner like me. The children’s sermon seemed to get away: that was a lot of information for young children.

The sermon time was a history lesson of George Washington (maybe appropriate at this time of year). The message was woven back to a correlation of George’s peace at battle won to Christ’s peace at Resurrection.

I spent some of my time there in prayer for the church and pastor, my favorite part of our visit.


Jan’s thoughts:

This is a big, old building, very well kept. We were surprised to see the outdoor Christmas tree was still decorated, and upon entering noticed the small Christmas trees and other decorations. We were told that this church recognizes Epiphany as a season, not just a day.

The stained glass was attractive, each window bearing lightly shaded diamond shapes with a candle on each window sill.

There was another stained glass window that was on display under glass. It was from an old church that was being demolished and was purchased as a gift for this church.

The pastor greeted us when we entered, as did the two women who were acting as greeters. The only others who spoke to us did so during the Passing of the Peace.

This church has some of the best signage I’ve seen anywhere.

The bulletin was more of an announcement sheet. There was contemporary music in an otherwise traditional service, with words projected on the front walls but without benefit of an Order of Worship. During the singing I sensed no passion from either the Praise Band or the congregation.

The sermon, or “address” according to the pastor, was entitled “Vindication.” He began with an overview of numerous battles of the Revolutionary War, finally reaching Washington’s first victory against the British. He imagined Washington lying under the stars that night, relaxed, quietly rejoicing in this “resurrection moment.” He said he thinks that is how Christ must have felt between the time His body was placed in the tomb and the time the two Marys arrived there. He was alone under the stars, all the striving, the chaos, the struggle, was over and His work was accomplished.

For some reason this all made me think of my late son. I believe that he, in his final moments, experienced that resurrection moment and the peace of vindication by God.

I’ve experienced moments of peace, though likely not like Christ’s, but times when I had the sense that God had everything under control and all was right with the world, even in all its seeming wrongness. Those moments are few and far between in this life, and I still look forward to that “resurrection moment” when I am vindicated by God. I imagine that might be the definition of sanctification. Utter peace. Definitely something to look forward to, I think.

No comments: