Sunday, May 8, 2011

First Presbyterian Church of Monaca

Today we worshiped at First Presbyterian Church of Monaca, 1301 Indiana Avenue, Monaca, PA 15061, 724.774.3880, Rev. Beth Wierman-Lambert, Stated Supply Pastor.


Bob’s thoughts:

This is an older style church of the Presbyterian glory years: arched ceiling, great stained glass, and ornate woodwork. On the carved woodwork of the Chancel wall there hangs a rather plain wooden cross, which I found pleasing.

I did not notice signage, but we did locate restrooms downstairs.

I thought the Children’s Sermon was good but went beyond their attention span.

The lone male in the choir is a Marine, so he was not outnumbered. The choir exhibited a passion in their praise. During one hymn I was impressed that the choir could rise above the trumpet. The worship in music was inspiring.

The Offertory was “Just a Closer Walk With Thee” performed on a trumpet. There were notes that I didn’t believe a trumpet could make, very well done.

There was a lot of noise from the Narthex and balcony, so I couldn’t hear the entire sermon, which had something to do with veterans. I used the time to pray for the pastor and church and I sensed God calling for more of a commitment from the congregation. I believe they support each other but need to prayerfully consider how He wants them to reach out.


Jan’s thoughts:

This is an older but well-kept building with stunning stained glass, white walls and ceiling, and dark wood. There was some signage for the restrooms, but that was all I noticed.

Several people made it a point to greet us prior to worship and during the time of greeting, which lasted quite a while.

The bulletin was cumbersome so, as I’ve been known to do, I would humbly offer my two cents regarding bulletin design. I always suggest keeping the Order of Worship on the one folded outside page and including everything not worship-related (prayer lists, announcements, etc.) in the form of unfolded inserts. That way when the bulletin is folded for use during worship, the Order of Worship is visible and everything else can be inserted into the folded portion to be read later.

The point of the Children’s Time was that God possesses the attributes of both mother and father. This is an important point I have not heard before but with which I completely agree, and it was presented in a way the children could comprehend.

The remarkable trumpeter who accompanied the choir during the Anthem and performed solo during the Offertory played the instrument while seated, something I’ve never seen before.

The sermon, entitled “Faith: A Matter of the Heart,” was based on Acts 2:14a, 36-41, 1 Peter 1:17-23, and mostly Luke 24:13-35. The touching story about the combat veteran who spoke to a crowd about his personal experiences in war spoke to me in terms of the importance of helping others to understand a circumstance by relating personal experiences, for which there truly is no substitute.

The pastor’s statement, “Conviction always occurs in community,” unless I misunderstood her meaning, was not something I can agree with. I have often sensed the conviction of the Holy Spirit while outside the company of believers, and I believe – and have experienced – God’s use of many and varied means and locations to get my attention and speak to my heart. He seems to know precisely how and when best to do so to help me understand. Humans can misjudge the heart of another, but God cannot. I can run, but I can’t hide from Him.

No comments: