Sunday, May 22, 2011

Montours Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Montours Presbyterian Church, 3151 Montour Church Road, Oakdale, PA 15071, 412.787.1050, www.montourschurch.org, Rev. James A. Evans, Pastor.


Bob’s thoughts:

We are used to churches with little signage, but this was the first time I had to step in and look around to see if I had the correct restroom.

We were warmly welcomed and were offered instruction on Communion. I was so pleased that the symbolism of the elements was stated aloud by the servers.

There were few children in attendance but a young man nearby made a point of coming back to greet us with Christ’s peace. There is a chrome cross on the Communion table, another on a banner, and a large wood cross on the opposite side.

The sermon started with an anecdote about Robert who drank and smoked, whose brother died of a heart attack at 52, a second brother died from the same cause at the same age Robert changed his ways, but when he reached 53 he slipped back to what he had been before.

I haven’t always been Bob, I was also called Robert; my father died from a heart attack at 52, his brother from a heart attack at 36, one of my brothers from a heart attack at 48. I guess 52 was a magic number to get past. I was in my 60s when I had a quadruple bypass and assessed that I had been six months from a massive heart attack. I have since celebrated three “not dead” anniversaries, but needless to say, it got my attention.

I was talking with a pastor recently who said she had not found a reason to refuse a child baptism. We talked of the vows we take in the child’s behalf and how fragile and worthless those vows are when we fail. God knows our inability to change. My guess is when we think we are pretty good is when we are at our worst for Him. The very things I try so hard not to do or be are where I slip the easiest. Our best is but a filthy rag without Christ.

I noticed in the bulletin that there was a healing ministry study group but forgot to ask about it.

I was pleased to pray for this church and pastor. I sensed God calling them to a greater mission involvement. I hope they will prayerfully consider this.


Jan’s thoughts:

We arrived with little time to spare, but a couple members of the congregation stopped to greet us prior to the service nonetheless. Numerous people greeted us during the Passing of the Peace.

The Sanctuary was larger than expected with sunshiny stained glass windows. I noticed some signage downstairs, but none on the Sanctuary floor. The bulletin was wonderfully user-friendly.

I appreciated the opportunity to partake of Communion, which was offered verbally.

The Call to Worship came prior to the Processional Hymn, so it was spoken from the rear of the Sanctuary, which was different in my experience. And as the Pastor spoke the Assurance of Pardon he dipped his hand into the Baptismal font and let some water trickle back down into the font. What a beautiful wordless reminder of the power of that Sacrament.

The choir was seated facing the congregation and sounded pleasing.

The sermon, entitled “A New Way,” was based on Genesis 6:5-8 and 8:20-22 and Romans 1:14-17 and 3:21-31. It was an interesting consideration of the parallels and differences between the Flood and the Cross. Essentially, the human heart was evil before and after the Flood; the Flood did not fix the problem of sin. I appreciated the observation that in the Flood all but one died, and on the cross One died for all.

After worship, the first woman to introduce herself continued to make us feel welcome by showing us the chapel building. It’s small-ish but beautifully constructed with stunning stained glass. It’s used for smaller worship services such as Good Friday, as well as other events. A very special place.

No comments: