Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bethany Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Bethany Presbyterian Church, 740 Washington Avenue, Bridgeville, PA 15017, 412.221.5132, www.bethanypresby.org, Rev. Dr. John G. Hamilton, Senior Pastor.


Bob’s thoughts:

After nearly an hour’s drive, the church we planned to visit had a sign on the locked doors: “Worship and Picnic in the Park.” So we let God lead us and ended up at Bethany.

I did not notice anything on the directional signage indicating where restrooms might be found, but we were familiar with the building so it was not an issue. The Sanctuary is a complementary mix of brick and woodwork, with a large cross suspended above the Chancel.

We were greeted by the usher and some others during the Passing of the Peace. While the soloist did a fine rendition of “Word of God, Speak,” the Pastor provided the accompaniment since the organist was on vacation.

The Sermon, “Our Sin is Condemned, We are Not!” was an important message for me in an area with which I struggle. The message was a series of stories with little need for anything else.

I was glad we were there to witness some youth being commissioned for a mission trip as similar trips had a large impact on my family. I was pleased that mission is important to Bethany.


Jan’s thoughts:

Today was another adventure. We drove to the church I thought we were to attend, but there was no one home as they were having a church picnic. We would likely have gone had the sign on the door indicated which park, but since it didn’t we had to assume we were being divinely re-directed and drove until we concluded where we were to go. One of the blessings at Bethany was the opportunity to worship with a good friend whom we seldom see.

The Sanctuary started out on the empty side but filled up quickly. The bulletin is user-friendly and contains LOTS of information.

This is a very mission-oriented church: the Senior Pastor is away with some members on one mission trip, another group was commissioned today for a different trip, and someone from this congregation is taking part in the current trip to Malawi. Youth who just returned from yet another trip acted as liturgists today. All this on top of local and other mission efforts. It’s a lot, especially for the summer.

The Sermon was titled “Our Sin is Condemned, We are Not!” and was based on Psalm 119:105-112 and Romans 8:1-88. He began with a story, really about the house next to the building the story was about. The house was condemned, and he spoke of “living in a house of fear” of condemnation. His final question to the congregation was: “What if we lived in the joyous reality that we are not condemned but that the sin that drives us nuts IS condemned?”

Indeed, the very question I’ve been asking myself in my devotional time the last several days: “What if I believed God for His promises?” How would that change my attitude, my mindset, my life? If I take God at His word that because of Christ’s Atonement my sins are, even now, as far as the east is from the west, then I no longer need live my life in the shadow of my guilt. If I open my heart and allow the reality of His forgiveness to penetrate my hard, human heart and change my thoughts, maybe then I will believe God’s other promises too, and I may just find my life transformed. At the very least I would no longer be living in the sin of unbelief. I continue to make progress in this direction, and I continue to learn more of God's glorious promises.

No comments: