Sunday, July 3, 2011

Forest Grove Community Church

Today we worshiped at Forest Grove Community Church, 20 William Drive, Coraopolis, PA 15108, 412.788.1081, www.forestgrovecommunitychurch.org, Michael R. McCamey, CLP, Pastor.


Bob’s thoughts:

Our destination was changed at the last minute again today and I was impressed right off by the signage outside identifying the Sanctuary entrance. We didn’t tour the rest of the building and there were restrooms right off the Narthex so we didn’t have need for further signage, but I felt so welcome as a visitor to know which way to come in.

We were welcomed at the door, but I felt almost if I was intruding in the three-way conversation; they seemed a little more receptive to my wife so perhaps I was interrupting.

The aesthetics of the Sanctuary were pleasing, and in addition to the cross on the Communion table there was also a large cross on the wall.

The joys and concerns were separated by prayer and it seemed easier to get the joys than the concerns.

The sermon related two Roman games of Biblical times, “wedding” and “funeral,” which may seem strange to us but in their time these were the normal celebrations at the extreme ends of the spectrum. The Scriptures read were the same extremes and maybe our lives also are a pendulum between extremes.

There was mention in the bulletin that an offering would go to support Gulda, but there was no indication what that might be.

A real highlight was the music. I enjoyed the playing and the young woman has a most delightful voice. I think more of the congregation was like me and got quieter to hear her voice.

I enjoyed lifting the pastor and this church in prayer. I got the impression that everyone is comfortable here, and God is calling them out to get their hands dirty doing mission.

I expected something more than “America, the Beautiful” for the Fourth of July weekend, but I did meet another Marine who was visiting. We can be total strangers and instantly bond…much like the Church should be, perhaps.


Jan’s thoughts:

The parking area is spacious and well-maintained. I don’t know if this facility is air conditioned, but I was grateful it was comfortable inside on such a hot, humid day. Had it been bearable outside we would have taken a gander at the labyrinth, but that will have to wait for another time.

We were inside for about 5 seconds before someone greeted us. The restrooms were immediately off the Narthex, so we didn’t even have to ask about them; I didn’t see other signage, but didn’t really look either.

The Sanctuary is decorated simply: white ceiling with arched wooden accent beams, white walls, delicate-looking stained glass, dark burgundy carpet, pews padded front and back in mauve, and stone-covered rear Chancel wall. The baptismal font was notable, as it boasted decorative stones and flowing water.

Much of the music was taize. The woman playing the piano and leading the singing was excellent.

The bulletin looked to be large type with lots of white space.

The Sermon, entitled “This Generation” was woven around Song of Solomon 2:8-13, Romans 7:15-25a, and Matthew 11:16-19.

No comments: