Sunday, August 7, 2011

Hanover Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Hanover Presbyterian Church, 2462 State Route 18, Clinton, PA 15026, 724.899.2911, www.hanoverchurch.net, Rev. Jefferson Ellis, Pastor.

Bob’s thoughts:


We entered today through a rather elongated “L” to the Sanctuary. I wondered if it was a series of additions but found no one to ask. Didn’t notice signage but did find restrooms.

I found the Sanctuary interesting: white walls, ceiling, and beams with the natural wood of the pews and chancel wall.


We chose a rather Presbyterian pew toward the back near an oscillating fan. Unfortunately the fan was repositioned and I had trouble breathing through the service.

The sermon, “A Soldier’s Pack,” was about enthusiasm for the grace God gives to us, and something at the end about putting it in a pack.


I thought the person presenting the sermon did a good job of incorporating the prayer requests.


We were welcomed by a few people.


I noticed nothing about mission and felt this was an internal church. Maybe God will lead us back and we can meet the pastor.


Jan’s thoughts:


We had a nice summer’s morning drive in this rural area, although we only saw one horse.

The gentleman operating the audio/visual system greeted us, and a few others gave brief hellos. I noticed a sign listing points of interest with directional arrows.


There appears to be some mission involvement as I caught a letter from Kenya posted on a bulletin board.


The pastor was on vacation so a woman preached; I would guess she was a member of the church but there was nothing in the bulletin about her except her name.

The Sanctuary was attractive: white walls, ceiling, and pews with dark wood accents on the pews and the Chancel area. There were white beams across the ceiling with decorative white trim across the top of each…it was surprisingly striking.


The prelude music was especially uplifting, but I appreciated all the music.


I didn’t understand why they chose to forego the Children’s Sermon. There were a handful of children near us, and I think the mom in front of us was waiting for it because when it was announced that they would skip it she immediately took her children to another room.


The Sermon, “A Soldier’s Pack,” was centered on Matthew 14:22-33, II Thessalonians 3:6-13, and Galatians 6:1-10. There were many points, but some included: during our lifetime each of us has things we must do for ourselves that no one else can do for us; don’t compare ourselves with others, only with ourselves; once you become a Christian, everything else is on the other side; and take hold of what God has given.

She likened our walk through this world with a battle (hence the sermon title) which I found ironic because I referred to it in similar terms in my devotions this morning, so I couldn’t agree more.

No comments: