Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sewickley Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Sewickley Presbyterian Church, 414 Grant Street, Sewickley, PA 15143, 412.741.4550, www.sewickleypresby.org, Rev. Kevin J. Long, Pastor.

Bob’s thoughts:

We visited for what I expected to be traditional Presbyterian worship, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it was Youth Sunday. The only real greeting I got at the church was from a young lady passing out the bulletins, and the greeting included a smile.

I noticed no signage. I ended up in the choir room – and almost the boiler room – looking for a men’s room. I thought the choir might have noticed that we seemed out of place. There is some extensive remodeling in progress and I did find a restroom almost by chance.

Any aggravation in finding our way was put to rest by the youth worship. This was by far the best youth choir I have heard. Their range and harmony was fantastic. My only regret was we sat too far back to see them as they sang. I was amazed that there wasn’t applause afterwards.

The Call to Worship was clear and easy to understand; I thought the young man who did the announcements had a radio-quality voice.

The sermon consisted of two young women giving their testimonies. There was an echo/feedback with the first presenter that made her story about a move hard to understand. The second story of mission involvement was easier to follow and I was glad to hear she and others are involved with the Center for Hope in Ambridge.

The adult choir was good; I saw some smiles and could feel the passion in their worship. I still feel they were outdone by the Youth Choir today.

I had hoped that we would meet the new pastor, but perhaps we will get to visit again when the renovations are completed, and maybe get to hear the Youth Choir again.


Jan’s thoughts:

We last visited this church in January 2009. I had heard through the grapevine that two new pastors had been called, so we decided to visit again; however, I somehow missed the note on the website that today was Youth Sunday, not that that would have changed our plans.

We exchanged greetings with another couple who arrived at the outer door at the same time we did, but at the time could not have known that they were the only ones who would say anything to us this morning except for the two young ladies we greeted after worship.

Once inside we decided to look around some, so we headed down the steps at the rear of the Sanctuary. Once down there we continued walking down a narrow hallway, thinking that with so many people in this area there must be facilities. It turned out we were in a preparation area for the choir, and not only was there no signage, no one said a word to us.

The bulletins were attractive and unique: an 11 x 17 sheet folded once, and the Order of Worship contained the words to the songs sung by the choirs as well as the Old and New Testament Scripture readings. All other information was to be found on the folded insert of the same size.

The choirs were both excellent, but the Youth Choir was especially impressive. I’ve never heard one that good, actually.

I enjoyed the “Children’s Conversation” where the speaker showed the children a quilt and then had each child take a square piece of material and throw it up in the air. Supposedly they would all come back down as a quilt, and when they did not, it was explained that just as it takes planning and work for the pieces of material to form a quilt, it takes planning by the Master Designer for the pieces of our lives to come together into a beautiful work of art.

I thought this was a lovely way to explain the concept to children and a special reminder to adults like me, who need to hear it on occasion.

Being Youth Sunday, the message was presented by two young women who gave their testimonies. They were well-spoken and heartfelt, and did a very good job.

No comments: