Sunday, April 22, 2012

Mars Alliance Church

Today we worshiped at Mars Alliance Church, 997 Route 228, Mars, PA 16046, 724.776.9400, www.marsalliance.org, Rev. Stan Sanger, Interim Senior Pastor.

Scripture – Luke 24:36-49:

“While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, ‘Peace be with you.’

They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. He said to them, ‘Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds?

Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.’

When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, ‘Do you have anything here to eat?’ They gave him a piece of broiled fish, and he took it and ate it in their presence.

He said to them, ‘This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.’

Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. He told them, ‘This is what is written: The Christ will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, and repentance and forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. You are witnesses of these things.

I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.’”

Matthew 5:9:

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God.”

John 14:27:

“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”


Bob’s thoughts:

We have driven past this church often, and I had a few questions should we ever be led to visit…questions I remembered right up till our visit today.

We parked in a visitor spot right in front of a door marked ‘entrance,’ but had the early service not been singing the closing hymn, I’m not sure we would have found the Sanctuary.

There seems to be a lot of signage but what I found had more to do with internal programs. We did find restrooms near the Sanctuary. The men’s room was clean, bright, and uncluttered, with a pleasant color scheme.

The Sanctuary is open with a high wood beam domed ceiling. The rear is open to the hallways but only a few times did voices carry in. The central stained glass panel is a cross, in addition to the one on the Communion table as well as on the light fixtures, so I was happy.

We were welcomed by two pastors, and even though I expect not to be recognized as a visitor at a church with multiple services, it was surprising that both pastors introduced themselves. It almost seemed to me that the members were okay with that and didn’t feel the need to say hello.

I was pleased to see a billboard recognizing church members in military service, and an usher realized I was former military and thanked me for my service.

We arrived a little early and I got to listen in on some of the praise team rehearsal. Three females sang together with great harmony; during the service the balance seemed off a bit and I lost one voice, but I would bet it was more my ears and sitting in the last pew. The praise team showed passion that I didn’t sense with the congregation. Perhaps it was that we “gray hairs” were the majority at this contemporary service and we sometimes like to listen and enjoy more than we like to sing.

Like any other first-time visitors, we never know of the other aspects of the worship service, only what we experience that day.

The sermon on peace included a reference I loved: when we are doing our ‘peace talks’ – how we share Christ’s peace with others.

My favorite part is the time I get to pray for the churches we visit.


Jan’s thoughts:

The facility is modern and spacious, with good signage. The Worship Center is open, high ceilinged and good acoustics (in my opinion).

Many people greeted us with a smile while the couple in the pew in front of us introduced themselves. Two pastors recognized us as visitors and stopped for conversation.

The worship leadership consisted of three women with powerful voices and perfect harmony. They were a joy to hear. I knew many of the words to these contemporary songs, but a couple of the songs were new to me and I found myself wishing the words were easier to see from the back of the Worship Center.

The sermon began with a video of what appeared to be long-term mission work in Sarajevo. Due to the years of violence and upheaval there, the people live in a constant state of fear. The few who know Jesus are the only ones who have any peace, so the hope is to use a community center setting to allow the peace of Christ that lives in the hearts of some to influence the hearts of those who do not know Christ.

The pastor’s message, “Peace Be With You,” spoke to the need for personal, interpersonal, and international peace. He pointed out that Jesus wants to reveal Himself and His peace to us and through us.

Everyone I know battles the demon of fear at some point in their life. I know I have, and sometimes I still do. I am so grateful that when I find myself unable to sleep at night because of fearful thoughts running amok in my head, God’s Spirit will remind me of His sovereignty and His great love. I do not believe there is another road to victory in this battle.

Our prayer for this church:

Father, we pray that this congregation will hear Christ speaking to them as they search for the pastor that You have already selected to lead them. We pray that they will hold each other together, that they would have a happy witness of loving You and loving others. That witness isn’t spoken, but is heard loudly by You and those that they encounter. We pray they will accept the interim pastor’s guidance and do their “peace talks,” and that You will be glorified. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

No comments: