Sunday, June 24, 2012

North Hills Church of Christ

Today we worshiped at North Hills Church of Christ, 797 Thompson Run Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15237, 412.487.5969, www.nhillscoc.org, Terry Lafferty, Minister.

Scripture –

2 Corinthians 3:18:
And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

Revelation 21:4:
“He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”


Bob’s thoughts:

We were greeted as we entered, given a bulletin, and directed to the restrooms. A few people asked if we were visiting and where we were from. On a quick look downstairs signage was evident. My guess was there was nothing but the Sanctuary on the main floor.

The pews are arranged in an angular arc and the wooden cross is centered in a window. The service started with one of the music leaders singing what at first sounded like Jewish music, and the congregation joined in. It was a prelude to one of the best music programs I have heard. The congregation sang with the harmony of a well-trained choir and all were done without instruments. One of my favorites, “You Are My All in All,” was sung with the female echo and then reversed on the next verse. I can’t remember a congregation being so seamless in song.

The offer was made for prayer card for private or corporate prayer. A number of different people offered prayers comfortably.

The sermon, “From One Degree to Another,” focused on our steps to a new commencement. It was great direction to me to never stop graduating, from one degree of glory to the next.

I wondered if others are like me in maintaining where I am in Christ without thinking of pursuing the next degree. I am grateful for the message and grateful that the pastor would let Christ use him to deliver direction for me. I really enjoyed hearing so much Scripture quoted throughout the sermon, the Word of God for all to hear. The last point of striving for a degree in cardiology struck me personally.

We stayed for a few minutes after the service for a tribute to two graduates with a video montage that was well done.


Jan’s thoughts:

We attempted to worship here several weeks ago, but God wanted us to hear another sermon that day. Today I learned He was saving this one especially for me.

I appreciated being greeted immediately upon entering, and there was signage but none for restrooms because they were immediately inside the building.

We briefly toured downstairs but all we saw were classrooms and it was too close to start time to look around any further.

The Sanctuary was striking even without stained glass. Lots of matching wood, an intriguing ceiling, and comfortable pews arranged in a zigzag layout unlike anything I’ve seen before.

The pews were nearly filled and the members were animated in their conversations, so when the hour arrived, the lights were briefly turned way down to let everyone know it was time to find their seats. I found this merely interesting until a gentleman began leading the congregation in song, and when I looked around I realized there were no musical instruments in the Sanctuary. The amazing thing, though, is that instruments were unnecessary. In the course of the service at least seven songs were sung (I may have miscounted), with three different male leaders at various times. Obviously the leaders all had superb voices, but the congregation maintained incredible volume and harmony. What an absolute joy to participate in that musical praise.

I was blessed to partake of Communion and to read the Scripture on the projection screen during the sacrament.

The sermon series is entitled “God’s Great Adventure” and this installment is “From One Degree to Another.” Since the high school graduation of two members was recognized later in the service, the title was a creative connection.

The pastor pointed out that life’s new beginnings and fresh starts provide a series of graduations and commencements to new steps in life. For instance, “the Israelites graduated from slaves to wilderness wanderers to inhabitants of the Promised Land. The woman caught in adultery was given a new beginning, and it took Jonah only three days to receive his degree.” He used other Bible characters as illustrations, including Peter, who was “faithless at the trial and faithful at the tomb,” to illustrate his point that we “should never stop graduating and should be transformed on a regular basis.”

He suggested the following three degrees that everyone needs to seek:

  1. A degree in Bibliology – it should be our lifelong pursuit, along with a minor in prayerology.
  2. A degree in Pneumatology (i.e., the Holy Spirit) – He is the key to defeating sin, He is the giver of gifts, and the fruit-producer. We are warned against grieving or quenching Him.
  3. A degree in Cardiology – the heart is central, it should be guarded and examined.
The pastor issued the reminder that Revelation 21:4 guarantees one final graduation and commencement for us all.

This message spoke to me loud and clear. I so often feel like I should be moving forward somehow but I’m never sure in what direction. This message reminded me that each day God graciously allows me to again learn and grow and graduate and to become a new person. So, I’m not stymied after all. What freedom there is in finding that I’m already doing part of what I have so wanted to! And, I get to do it again tomorrow!


Our prayer for this church:

Father, It is a joy to lift this church to You, Lord, as it was a joy to meet with You in worship here. We pray that You continue to bless and lead these people to their next commencement. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

No comments: