Sunday, July 29, 2012

Vanport Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Vanport Presbyterian Church, 289 Georgetown Lane, Beaver, PA 15009, 724.774.8874, www.vpchurch1.org, Rev. David D. Byers, Pastor.

Scripture –

Hebrews 10:1-18
The law is only a shadow of the good things that are coming – not the realities themselves. For this reason it can never, by the same sacrifices repeated endlessly year after year, make perfect those who draw near to worship. If it could, would they not have stopped being offered? For the worshipers would have been cleansed once for all, and would no longer have felt guilty for their sins. But those sacrifices are an annual reminder of sins, because it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.

Therefore, when Christ came into the world, he said: “Sacrifice and offering you did not desire, but a body you prepared for me; with burnt offerings and sin offerings you were not pleased. Then I said, ‘Here I am – it is written about me in the scroll – I have come to do your will, O God.’” First he said, “Sacrifices and offerings, burnt offerings and sin offerings you did not desire, nor were you pleased with them” (although the law required them to be made). Then he said, “Here I am, I have come to do your will.” He sets aside the first to establish the second.

And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Day after day every priest stands and performs his religious duties; again and again he offers the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. But when this priest had offered for all time one sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God. Since that time he waits for his enemies to be made his footstool, because by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy.

The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says: “This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds.”

Then he adds: “Their sins are lawless acts I will remember no more.” And where these have been forgiven, there is no longer any sacrifice for sin.

Romans 13:8-14
Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. The commandments, “Do not commit adultery,” “Do not murder,” “Do not steal,” “Do not covet,” and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.

Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.


Bob’s thoughts:

We were greeted and warmly welcomed at the door and got to chat a bit with the greeters. The building that houses the sanctuary is new and the restrooms are right off the narthex, so signage was not much of an issue. We didn’t get to see the rest of the building so I don’t know about other signage.

The sanctuary has a large wooden cross framed by the window, and very comfortable seating arranged to provide generous spacing.

The sermon, “Countdown to Glory,” had two points that really spoke to me. The first was about worshiping God wherever we are, that worship is not confined to church. I made a similar comment to my wife this morning when we were talking about what church to visit today. Today is 6 years since our younger son was killed, and my comment was that we could worship in a large fancy church or I could sit in the mud in my garden, it would not affect my worship. Everything we do can be an act of worship, wherever we are.

Another point had to do with the teenage years and the concern that teens not be swayed by the world, that they be different in faith. Our son Dan just gravitated towards trouble, but he was never embarrassed by his faith. With all the peer pressure growing up, the world could not separate him from Christ. The stories about Dan’s standing up for his faith were a major factor in our surviving his loss.

I didn’t get to hear the rest of the sermon; I thought there would be a speaker in the quiet room where we took my grandchildren. Maybe this will be a nursing area, but I was surprised that there wasn’t a window in the door. Also I hope the outlets get covered.

I was able to rejoin the congregation for the last hymn, a favorite, “Here I Am, Lord.” Perhaps it was a new song to the church, but the passion was missing.


Jan’s thoughts:

The stonework and the A-frame design of this building make it particularly attractive. The paved lot provides great parking.

We were greeted immediately upon entering, and shortly thereafter our daughter, son-in-law and grandtwins joined us. The little ones, of course, were charming conversation-starters.

The Sanctuary is simple and elegant with comfortable chairs and ample legroom.

We typically sit in the back because much more often than not the volume is too much for our ears, but today I found myself wishing we were further forward as I could barely hear the worship assistant. I was able to hear the preacher much better though.

The bulletin consisted of three 8 ½ x 11 pages folded in half and stapled, and is just full of information. I couldn’t help but notice next to the prayer list was a list of those serving in the military, one page was devoted to the Scripture much as we do here, and another with a suggested order to help develop the Discipline of Daily Prayer.

The pastor was on vacation so the message was presented by Mrs. Eva-Maria Barr, an elder from Mill Creek Presbyterian Church and a member of the Presbytery’s Committee on Ministry.

The sermon, entitled “Countdown to Glory,” outlined Paul’s practical advice for living: do not sway from the faith or follow the culture – stand firm; we have a duty to use the spiritual gifts God gave us – use them and don’t be lazy; be content and humble.

I appreciated the message, but between my grandchildren and the anniversary of our son’s Homegoing, I had some trouble staying focused.


Our prayer for this church:
Dear Father, We pray, Lord, that You will use the members of Your Body with whom You have blessed this Church, and that the members will use their gifts to Your glory. May they do the work You have planned for them. We lift up their leaders as they discern Your will. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

No comments: