Sunday, August 12, 2012

Victory Family Church

Today we worshiped at Victory Family Church, 21150 Route 19, Cranberry Twp., PA 16066, 724.453.6200, www.lifeatvictory.com, John and Michelle Nuzzo, Senior Pastors.

Scripture – Galatians 5:16-23

So I say, live by the Sprit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want.

But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.


Bob’s thoughts:

Today we got to visit a church that has been on our list for a while. We were greeted by people who held the door open for us but we were ignored otherwise, even during the obligatory greeting.

I had my earplugs with me so was be to stay for the music. I was seated through most of the service with a granddaughter so I don’t know how many were on stage but it did seem like smoke effects with the dust particles caught in the spotlight beams. I was disappointed not to find a cross. Our large party was too late to claim seats together but the ushers/security people tried to accommodate us.

There is an impressive nursery/child care area that included a room for special needs children.

At first the message seemed to be a monologue on raising children, but it turned out to segue to the sermon that, for me, came down to the promise that we can be used for God. We all lament not being good enough or ready to evangelize, but what if our efforts that we judge as being feeble turn out to be the only chance for someone to claim Christ?

There was an altar call for any who wished to accept Christ and a number of people raised their hands.

After the service I stopped at the information desk and was given a floor plan that would have been nice to have when we first stopped there. There is a large floor plan on the wall, but it is behind a sales desk.


Jan’s thoughts:

If we thought the building was large last week, this one was huge. We only got to tour a small part of it, but we were given a brochure with a color-coded floor plan, and we would not have had time to tour the entire campus. I looked around the gift shop, and we walked the hallway with all the children’s rooms. They were probably the most imaginative, varied, colorful, nicely appointed rooms for children I’ve seen anywhere. The sign for one room indicated it was specifically for those with special needs.

A few people smiled at us and one person spoke with our son, but otherwise we were on our own. During the service when the congregation was instructed to greet someone nearby, we were not approached.

I’m usually quite alright without a bulletin, but I do wish I knew the name of one of the songs that opened worship. I loved the words and would appreciate being able to find it on iTunes. Displaying the words on the screens was helpful. The music had plenty of volume and sounded professional.

The guest preacher was an evangelist named David Faulk. I missed hearing exactly who he is, but I do know he is on the younger side, passionate, and had a couple of amazing life stories to tell…and I was spellbound on the edge of my seat. His message was called “Walking God’s Pathway,” and he made some great points.

He asked if everyone went to their significant other and offered to spend 1 hour and 15 minutes with them per week, would that be acceptable to maintain the relationship? He then asked what makes us think that it’s enough to sustain our relationship with God.

I have never heard that the Bible, in addition to being the bestselling book of all time, is also the most shoplifted book. Rather ironic, but believable…many are seeking.

How odd that for the second week in a row in distinctly different churches in separate states we heard the quote from The Matrix about the difference between knowing and doing.

His stories were illustrations from his and his father’s lives about the seeds that are planted, about how “the pursuit of happiness without holiness leads to emptiness,” and “letting God write your story.” He was open and vulnerable, which is probably why his stories will stay with me. They also give me hope that God does indeed have a plan and a purpose, for even my life. Hallelujah!


Our prayer for this church:
Dear Father, we pray this church continues to reach out to those who don’t know yet that they need Christ. We ask that You nourish this church and help them continue to grow. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

2 comments:

david said...

Bob and Jan! Hello! My name is David Faulk. I was the guest preacher you heard when you visited Victory Family Church. The Lord had given me the statement "the pursuit of happiness without holiness leads to emptiness" and I was curious to see if it was anywhere else on the net. So when I searched the statement I was pleasantly surprised to find your blog. How random! I just wanted to say hello....I haven't had a chance to check out your blog yet but I will.

Blessings!

David

Jaimee said...

This was a great message David! I attend the Saturday evening service and I love this church! I have three children (4, 3, and 11 months) the older two never want to leave the children's ministry and are always excited to show me what they learned. Praise and worship is always so powerful here. Pastor John's messages are always very down to earth. I really can't say enough great things about this church! Love it!

Great blog by the way! Thank you for doing this!

Jaimee