Sunday, September 16, 2012

New Life Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at New Life Presbyterian Church, 2795 Patterson Drive, Aliquippa, PA 15001, 724.378.4389, www.newlifehopewell.org.

Scripture – Numbers 6:22-27

The Lord said to Moses, “Tell Aaron and his sons, ‘This is how you are to bless the Israelites. Say to them:

“ ‘ “The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.” ‘

“So they will put my name on the Israelites, and I will bless them.”

Bob’s thoughts:

I learned something about my expectations today. This church had a bright, airy feel to it with bright-colored stained glass beautifully lit by the sun. I was remembering some very passionate worship in very dark and humble worship areas, and I think I was expecting vibrant worship because of the aesthetics.

This church recently suffered the loss of their pastor and of his wife a few years earlier, so they are early in the grieving process. But it made me wonder how often we are affected by the environment in which we worship. We had thought that we might help someone there through the grieving process, but I think it may be too early.

Not only was there a great cross on the wall, but some smaller ones built into the walls and the ends of the pews. I noticed only door signs on the floors that we visited. We were welcomed by a number of people, but noticed that questions were only addressed to me.

The preacher serves as a chaplain elsewhere and preached on “The Unexpected Blessing” from a benediction in Numbers. He made his case for the blessing of this benediction now.

The preacher relayed several personal stories, beginning with the humbling experience of being prayed for. It reminded me of an older friend who was in her last days. My wife joined me to lay hands and pray, which went very well. But when we finished she surprised us by holding on to us firmly so she could pray for us.

A favorite story to which he referred was Aaron explaining how they threw in this gold and look at the calf that came out!

And lastly, driving in challenging conditions and being glad there was no Christian bumper sticker on the car.

I remember feeling chastised because of my driving while there was a Christian bumper sticker on the rear of my truck, and it helped me to be a better driver.

Jan’s thoughts:

This is a pretty facility, aesthetically pleasing in color and décor. I did not notice directional signage, but we arrived with just enough time to use the restrooms before the service began.

The sanctuary walls, ceiling, and pews were white/off-white, with light green padding on the pews. Consequently the stained glass windows on either side were the bright spots (literally and figuratively) of the sanctuary.

I appreciated the user-friendliness of the bulletin, as I was able to fold the one full sheet containing the Order of Worship and place all the inserts inside to read later.

In early July this church lost its installed pastor after a 1½ year battle with pancreatic cancer. I had hoped God was directing us there for the purpose of ministering to them, but the members seem to be in the early stages of grief and were busy ministering to each other. Ultimately I suppose that’s a sign of a healthy church, as they are being the church to each other.

The message, “The Unexpected Blessing,” was presented by Dr. Bill Johnson, who serves as Chaplain for LIFE Pittsburgh. While looking at their website to learn more about the organization, I was astounded to see they reside in the same building to which our office moved just over a month ago. The world gets smaller every day.

The message wound around the meaning of the Aaronic blessing (above). The most heartwarming thing to me was to learn that in the Hebrew the blessing is addressed to individuals, not especially to Israel as a whole. This is further proof to me (as if further proof were necessary…) of the personal nature of our God and His love for us. He cares for each one individually. As the preacher pointed out, God blesses in tangible ways, He blesses with grace, and He blesses with His peace.

I am overwhelmed by His grace.

Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we lift this church up to You and ask that You walk them through their grief. We pray You will lead pastors to them to bring them comfort and restore their joy in You. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

No comments: