Sunday, November 18, 2012

Christ Church at Grove Farm

Today we worshiped at Christ Church at Grove Farm, 249 Duff Road, Sewickley, PA 15143, 412.741.4900, www.ccgf.org, Pastor Jon Panner, Rector/Senior Pastor.

Scripture – 2 Timothy 2:1-7

You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.  And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others. Endure hardship with us like a good soldier of Christ Jesus. No one serving as a soldier gets involved in civilian affairs – he wants to please his commanding officer. Similarly, if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victor’s crown unless he competes according to the rules. The hardworking farmer should be the first to receive a share of the crops. Reflect on what I am saying, for the Lord will give you insight into all this.”

Bob’s thoughts:

Today we worshiped in the contemporary service. There is a great wooden cross suspended above the stage which would normally put me in tune for a good worship service. When the praise music started, for me it was loud enough to overpower my earplugs and brought on a headache. It caused me to wonder what the people who worshiped with the music felt when they were in a traditional service with the old hymns. My ears can no longer handle loud music, and there is a lot of repetition in contemporary songs. We may never enjoy each style of music equally, but we must never doubt that God can use any style of music to His glory.

The sermon was part of a series and dealt with Paul’s direction to Timothy, telling Timothy to be strong in grace, to proclaim Christ, and that things will get tough.

When Jesus claimed me I lost all my former friends. Most disowned me as our lifestyles conflicted. Two died, but both let me talk about Christ and the changes in my life and both professed faith in Jesus before they died. I have witnessed to other friends and relatives who accepted Christ before death and it has been a humbling privilege.

We were invited to a Christian Education class where we were presented the opportunity to share with a woman who suffered a tragic loss. I hope that our words helped in some way and am sorry, with my poor hearing, that I didn’t realize enough of the situation to take the occasion to pray with her.

From the class, a great line for us all from a missionary: “I can’t, but He can,” and on His gift of grace: “a gift that was irresistibly given.” When Christ took me, I never had a conscious thought about accepting Him…just a wonderful, overwhelming, irresistible movement to Jesus.

Jan’s thoughts:

We returned to visit the contemporary service, and although we know several people here, we were greeted by several whom we did not know.

The music was well done and although we sat near the back, for me the volume still required earplugs.

Following the music we were treated to a video about a woman who shared Christ with a friend who shared Him with a co-worker, who became a public speaker and shared Him with many groups of people, and on and on, a clear reminder that others have had a hand in our being saved and of the strong likelihood that we have helped others whom we have never met come to know Christ.

The message was the first in a series entitled “Who’s Got Next?” It contained several good reminders:

1 – Advice comes through the strength of relationship…without a strong relationship, our advice falls on deaf ears.

2 – Grace is found in the Person of Christ, not in ritual.

3 – God’s message works because God is in it.

4 – Hardship is the plan of the Gospel…those who have spread God’s Word have always encountered rejection.

5 – People watch us when we struggle to see if our faith is real.

Following worship we stayed for an adult Sunday school class. I enjoyed it, but I appreciated the conversation afterward even more.

As we headed for the exit we encountered one of our friends who enthusiastically told us about his new job and about learning that for a believer one’s primary vocation is that of minister. Whatever we are employed to do is in addition to spreading the Gospel by our words, actions, and attitudes, and God places us where He wants us for this purpose. This declaration was an answer to prayer for me and literally brought tears to my eyes.

Our prayer for this church:
Our Father, we pray all are drawn to You and encouraged by whatever style music they hear. We pray that this church will be strong in grace and boldly proclaim the Gospel to all, knowing that when the troubles come You will meet them there to give them strength and encourage their witness. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

No comments: