Sunday, November 11, 2012

Christian Assembly

Today we worshiped at Christian Assembly, 8th Avenue and 9th Street, Beaver Falls, PA 15010, 724.846.3751, Pastor Dale Russo.

Scripture – Matthew 14:22:

Immediately Jesus made the disciples get into the boat and go on ahead of him to the other side, while he dismissed the crowd.

Bob’s thoughts:

We went from not being able to go to church last week to sort-of going to church.

Our children planned to take us to lunch in celebration of our 34th anniversary and we were to meet at 11. The service was at the greeting time right before 11, so we excused ourselves with plans for a return visit.

I wondered if the projection screen in the chancel alcove concealed a cross. The man who led the singing was very passionate, but his shadow sometimes blocked the words on the screen.

We usually sit in the back so I don’t know if this was a first for me, for someone to first kneel and then prostrate herself before the Lord.

There were a lot of Amens to what the pastor said but often it was a steady mumble making his words hard for me to hear.

I have no doubt God called us to this church. There was a time of anointing and prayers and encouragement to use Christ’s power to heal, which I am particularly interested in. God has at times used me as an instrument to bring miraculous healing to His children, but my healing ministry has been sputtering.

We look forward to visiting and worshiping with this congregation.

Jan’s thoughts:

I wished we could stay for the entire service, but we did not realize it would be so long. Since our daughter and son-in-law were taking everyone out to lunch to celebrate our anniversary (34 years!), we plan to return to this church.

When we entered the building the singing had already begun, but we were still greeted warmly. It was led by one gentleman with a great deal of enthusiasm and minimal instrumental back-up. After the singing there was what appeared to be an altar call for prayer and anointing with oil.

After the hands-on prayer, the pastor voiced the prayer needs for several members and recounted the story of the lame man whose friends dug through the roof of a house in order to get their friend in front of Jesus for healing. He then commented that it was “time to dig out the roof of Heaven for these people,” a comment I found intriguing. The pastor prayed an intercessory prayer, and immediately a woman in the congregation began speaking without obvious prompting. For a couple of minutes she said things like, “Take the authority I’ve given you, stand firm in your faith, take command as I’ve given you faith, speak out in faith.” That was when I knew why God had led us to this church.

For the last couple of weeks every time I turn around I have heard/read messages encouraging me to speak. I don’t know yet where I’m supposed to speak or about what, but it sure is making me wonder.

We did not hear the sermon today, but we plan to return when we are without time constraints. I’m certain it will be worth it.

Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we lift this church to You, praying You continue to bless and guide them in service that You may be glorified. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

No comments: