Sunday, March 17, 2013

Family Bible Church

Today we worshiped at Family Bible Church, 325 Freedom Crider Road, Freedom, PA 15042-0025, 724.774.2276, www.thefamilybiblechurch.org, Pastor Ed Bailey.

Scripture: King James Version

John 3:14-16 –
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Romans 8:35-39 –
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.

For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Bob’s thoughts:

We stopped first to hear a cantata in which our son-in-law was singing and then were led to this church. We were early and a woman greeted us and offered a number of options, including coffee. We opted for a self-guided tour and the coffee.

The Sunday school/social area was bright and cheerful and I noticed a lot of welcoming things about the kitchen area.

Two Marines and a Marine Mom stopped to chat and others introduced themselves before and after the service.

I noticed a cross in a high porthole window and when I turned to chat with one of those welcoming us I saw a large rustic cross on the rear wall. The windows were plain opaque glass with a cobalt blue surrounding strip; overall a warm feeling.

I was pleased there is a lot of emphasis on prayer, updates were given, and a prayer sheet was circulated through the congregation. When it was time to commission the next family going on a mission trip the offer was made for those who wanted to come forward for prayers to come up. I wish I would have realized that I might have been welcome to join them in prayer. I was sorry to have missed the opportunity but prayed for them and the church from the pew. Nevertheless I was happy to see the prayer ministry of this church and to hear of their mission involvement.

There was some Scripture quoted on the bulletin/newsletter handout but I don’t think it was in regard to the service.

The message seemed to be about God’s great love for us. I did miss some of it when there were people talking in the narthex. The pastor had a passion in his preaching and quoted numerous Scriptures.

I had a realization today that church congregations are fed in many ways; coming from a Presbyterian heritage I think I was narrow in my understanding of this. I have known some pastors whose spouses were the ones with the strong ministry, and likewise many who are nurtured by the songs or prayers or other aspects of the worship service. While we might tend to be judgmental and not realize how God can use any part of worship to get His message to believers. Looking back and remembering some of the most Spirit-filled moments I’ve had, they were not in church but happened outside the sanctuary, such as prayers in the parking lot.

Jan’s thoughts:

The care and attention showed at this well-kept church tucked back off the main road.

From the time we walked in, numerous people greeted us warmly, including several of Bob’s Marine brothers. It’s always a joy to encounter members of the Marine Corps family. While Bob talked with the men, I had the privilege of chatting with a woman who is the daughter of a Marine as well as the mother of one. I wished we had more time to talk, partly because of our shared Marine family connection, but also because she was one of those people who exuded joy. I have met a few people like that over the years, and their faces are indelibly imprinted in my mind. She is now there also, and I’m very grateful for our conversation.

This church calls themselves a “House of Prayer” and much prayer was accomplished this morning. Mission seems to be another core value, and this morning a fair amount of time was spent praying over a family that will leave this week on a mission trip to the Dominican Republic.

The untitled message was a reminder of God’s love for all His people, not just the saved. It was a call to believe and share God’s love with those who do not know Him, wherever they may be.

The Romans passage that was read is one of my favorites, and every time I hear it I think of Bible teacher Beth Moore’s comment regarding verse 37 about being “more than conquerors.” She says, “How can we be ‘more than conquerors’ unless we have something to conquer?” Remembering this truth has helped me more than a few times, and always makes me smile.

Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we pray You will continue to guide and encourage this congregation’s mission involvement and that they would always remember the importance of their prayer ministry. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

No comments: