Sunday, June 23, 2013

Park Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Park Presbyterian Church, 275 Commerce Street, Beaver, PA 15009, 724.775.2936, www.parkchurchbeaver.org, Rev. Mark Boyd, Pastor.


Scripture

Isaiah 65:1-9 –
“I revealed myself to those who did not ask for me; I was found by those who did not seek me. To a nation that did not call on my name, I said, ‘Here am I, here am I.’

All day long I have held out my hands to an obstinate people, who walk in ways not good, pursuing their own imaginations – a people who continually provoke me to my very face, offering sacrifices in gardens and burning incense on altars of brick; who sit among the graves and spend their nights keeping secret vigil; who eat the flesh of pigs, and whose pots hold broth of impure meat; who say, ‘Keep away; don’t come near me, for I am too sacred for you!’

Such people are smoke in my nostrils, a fire that keeps burning all day.

“See, it stands written before me: I will not keep silent but will pay back in full; I will pay it back into their laps – both your sins and the sins of your ancestors,” says the Lord.

“Because they burned sacrifices on the mountains and defied me on the hills, I will measure into their laps the full payment for their former deeds.”

This is what the Lord says:

“As when juice is still found in a cluster of grapes and people say, ‘Don’t destroy it, there is still a blessing in it,’ so will I do in behalf of my servants; I will not destroy them all. I will bring forth descendants from Jacob, and from Judah those who will possess my mountains; my chosen people will inherit them, and there will my servants live.

Luke 8:26-39
They sailed to the region of the Gerasenes, which is across the lake from Galilee.

When Jesus stepped ashore, he was met by a demon-possessed man from the town. For a long time this man had not worn clothes or lived in a house, but had lived in the tombs. When he saw Jesus, he cried out and fell at his feet, shouting at the top of his voice, “What do you want with me, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg you, don’t torture me!” For Jesus had commanded the impure spirit to come out of the man. Many times it had seized him, and though he was chained hand and foot and kept under guard, he had broken his chains and had been driven by the demon into solitary places.

Jesus asked him, “What is your name?”

“Legion,” he replied, because many demons had gone into him.

And they begged Jesus repeatedly not to order them to go into the Abyss.

A large herd of pigs was feeding there on the hillside. The demons begged Jesus to let them go into the pigs, and he gave them permission. When the demons came out of the man, they went into the pigs, and the herd rushed down the steep back into the lake and was drowned.

When those tending the pigs saw what had happened, they ran off and reported this in the town and countryside, and the people went out to see what had happened. When they came to Jesus, they found the man from whom the demons had gone out, sitting at Jesus’ feet, dressed and in his right mind; and they were afraid. Those who had seen it told the people how the demon-possessed man had been cured. Then all the people of the region of the Gerasenes asked Jesus to leave them, because they were overcome with fear. So he got into the boat and left.

The man from whom the demons had gone out begged to go with him, but Jesus sent him away, saying, “Return home and tell how much God has done for you.” So the man went away and told all over town how much Jesus had done for him.


Bob’s thoughts:

We were greeted and introduced to so many people when we walked in, it brought back memories of being the greeter. As heartwarming as that was, the very best greeting was outside the church: as we were getting out of my truck, the family parking in front of us – turned out to be the pastor’s family – a little girl about two years old gave me a genuine smile that warmed my heart for worship.

The chancel features a great wooden cross on the wall and beautiful stained glass in a big open sanctuary that was air conditioned. I never thought air conditioning would be a consideration for worship, but as it gets harder for me to breathe, it is appreciated.

The service is interspersed with Kyrie responses followed by some special music, a solo of “It Is Well With My Soul.” This piece is bittersweet for us but it was beautifully done. The organ was loud to me but sounded like it was played with some significant talent. I thought perhaps the volume was set for the choir.

I wondered if contemporary worship is being considered as it looks like the church is in a great location with a good building ready to bring worship to the community.

The sermon, “Devil’s Dance Floor,” was based on the story of Christ exorcising the legion of demons from the possessed man and letting them go into the swine. This man was from the margins of society, a lost cause. He did nothing to be saved…didn’t even ask.

This was my salvation story. I know many prayed for me but I didn’t even ask. Christ reached into the hole and pulled me out. I did nothing to secure my undeserved salvation; I was completely overwhelmed by His grace

That the pastor got an “amen” from this Presbyterian congregation is remarkable. I found it interesting that from where we sat the pastor’s stole aligned perfectly with the parament on the pulpit; I never saw that anywhere before.


Jan’s thoughts:

We visited this church about four years ago, during their interim period, and returned to hear the new pastor.

Since I am now wearing a boot on my broken foot, I find myself taking note of handicapped accessibility and was grateful Bob parked near the ramp entrance.

We were recognized as visitors from the moment we stepped inside and the members we encountered practiced exceptional hospitality.

The music was outstanding, especially the solo of “It Is Well With My Soul.”

The sermon was entitled “Devil’s Dance Floor.” The pastor explained the several possible origins of this expression but that it basically means a lost cause, which is what the demon-possessed man was considered. He had been segregated and written off into the margins of society.

Yet, through absolutely no effort of his own, he encountered Jesus and was freed and healed…a beautiful picture of what Jesus does for us when we come to Him and find salvation.

We tend to think we had something to do with being saved, but prior to coming to faith we too are helpless and hopeless, possessed by spirits from which we attempt to free ourselves. Sometimes others try to help, but barring an encounter with Christ, we have no hope.

Praise God that He sees us, knows precisely what we need, and saves us, because we cannot save ourselves no matter how much we think we can.


Our prayer for this church:
Dear Lord, we pray You will open the eyes of this church to the ministry they can have for You and give Your church life in the community. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

No comments: