Monday, July 29, 2013

Fellowship Bible Church

Yesterday we worshiped at Fellowship Bible Church, 3217 Middle Road, Winchester, VA 22602, 540.662.7743, www.fbcva.org, Mark Carey, Senior Pastor.


Scripture

Luke 17:28-37
“It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building. But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all.

“It will be just like this on the day the Son of Man is revealed. On that day no one who is on the housetop, with possessions inside, should go down to get them. Likewise, no one in the field should go back for anything. Remember Lot’s wife! Whoever tries to keep their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life will preserve it. I tell you, on that night two people will be in one bed; one will be taken and the other left. Two women will be grinding grain together; one will be taken and the other left.”

“Where, Lord?” they asked.

He replied, “Where there is a dead body, there the vultures will gather.”


Bob’s thoughts:

It always makes me smile when I start to relate to someone how we got to worship at a particular church. Yesterday as we were traveling toward home we chose this church, but as I review the messages we received from God, there is no doubt Who led us here.

We could have used signage to find our way in. We were welcomed at the door and again soon after by a man who showed great interest in our blog then showed us around and introduced us to others. In a church with three services it is unusual to be recognized as visitors.

It is a larger campus and we didn’t get to see most of it so I don’t know what signage there may be elsewhere. The restrooms were right inside what we took to be the main doors and the areas we saw were identified and staffed.

Worship is held in a large auditorium-style room which has basketball hoops drawn up to the ceiling and side nets. I liked the sidelines done in inset white carpet strips. The acoustic tile panels and heavy drapes over the windows made for great sound and the interesting set of sheer curtains draped down to the stage that made it seem less like a stage. I appreciated the large wooden cross on the wall near the front.

The service began with a large group of children singing songs they had learned in Vacation Bible School. The songs reflected good theological messages, likewise the rest of the music.

The speaker was projected on the two large screens and the pastor who delivered the message was identified on screen.

The sermon, delivered by the Pastor of Biblical Education, was on the end times. The message made some excellent points and some that I will need to reflect on. It was educational and seemed theologically sound. It was good to hear a sermon that made me think.

The admonishment that when you are called to go, it is with no looking back or second thought brought back a memory for me. When our family was young I still expected from them the response I got from my Marines – instant action. It took a long time for me to accept that children don’t come wired that way. (An inside tip…wives don’t either.) They didn’t understand how I could get so upset just crossing the street with them.

I was glad there was reference to God’s chosen people – Israel – still being chosen.

It was good to worship without needing earplugs, and even though it wasn’t exceptionally warm out, the A/C was appreciated. We were involved in conversation after the service so I didn’t get to see whether people went forward for prayer after worship, but when we spoke with the pastor he was quick to offer much appreciated prayer for us.


Jan’s thoughts:

We stopped at this church while on the way home from visiting family in northern Virginia. It’s a huge campus; we were grateful for the visitor parking and that it served to indicate the best entrance.

Signage was good inside, but as we stood looking around a gentleman greeted us and struck up a conversation. With three services, I was surprised to be recognized as a visitor. He showed us around some, including an impressive-sized map detailing the locations of missions this church supports, and introduced us to one of the pastors. In the course of conversation we mentioned our blog and he indicated the church was in the midst of plans to start a blog of their own.

Several people, when they learned we were first-time visitors, made sure we knew to pick up a gift bag at the back of the worship area. Those serving at that location were helpful and welcoming, and the baked rolls included in the bag were delicious!

As we entered the worship area, it was only when I noticed the basketball hoops up and out of the way and the indoor/outdoor carpeting on the floor that I realized this room also serves as a gym. However with heavy drapes over the windows on one side, numerous acoustic panels on the walls, and lightweight material draped in the stage area, I noticed no sound issues at all.

The praise band had an exceptional sound, and the vocalists were incredible.

Just before worship began a gathering of children sang some of the songs they learned here at VBS last week. I was grateful the lyrics were projected on the screen because I found the theology thoroughly impressive, especially for children. I wish I could recall at least some of them, but I was not taking notes at that point. The monies collected during VBS week were announced along with the number of children who had professed faith in Christ (26).

The message was preached by Don DenHartog, the Pastor of Biblical Education. This was the final part of his series on eschatology and was entitled “The Provision For Escape.” I can say with certainty, it was the deepest sermon I’ve heard in quite some time. I am not well versed on this topic, but he spoke with great authority and urgency about the meanings of some of the symbols in the Tribulation literature of Daniel and Revelation especially, but also other books of Scripture. I have subscribed to the church’s podcast and look forward to hearing the other messages in this series.

Although I am unfamiliar with the details of what he was teaching, I do know there is great dissention among believers when it comes to timing and the exact order of events in this area; therefore I won’t try to delineate the points of the message as this is not the place for disagreements and I am not educated enough to defend any particular position. Suffice to say, I am content to leave it in God’s hands.

The part of the message that spoke to me did so for purely personal reasons: I am writing this on July 29, the anniversary of our son’s death. It was in that shadow that I heard this message emphasizing God’s majestic power and glory, His perfect timing, His intricate planning, and His merciful allowance for escape. This message reminded me how truly awesome God is, that His plan and timing are indeed perfect, His power is overwhelming, and His provision breathtaking in its depth and detail.

This weekend especially, these were gracious and welcome reminders of God’s unfailing love.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we lift this church to You and pray their hearts are open to Your word as it is preached. We ask that You continue to bless and encourage the pastors as well as the numerous mission efforts. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

No comments: