Sunday, January 26, 2014

Community Presbyterian Church of Ben Avon

Today we worshiped at Community Presbyterian Church of Ben Avon, 7501 Church Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15202, 412.761.1233, www.cpcba.org, Rev. Donna Giver-Johnston, Pastor.


Scripture – 1 Corinthians 1:10-18

I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas”; still another, “I follow Christ.”

Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, so no one can say that you were baptized in my name. (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel – not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.


Bob’s thoughts:

Sometime the nudge to visit a church would not be discernable except for a few different things at the same time: an email, a new installed pastor, icy roads, and here we are.

It was nice to greet some people we know in a church we are familiar with, and when the roads were really bad on the way home, I was glad we were close by.

I surely must have commented on the ornate cross before, but suspended over the chancel, perhaps it was the color scheme that reminded me of cast iron. Today, seeing the small cables by which it is hung, removed the thought of any great weight. Nonetheless I had to wonder why I only just noticed that today.

There was a distinctive guitar prelude, and the music is always exceptional. It was also good to see more of a mix of ages in the choir.

The children’s sermon explained the Passing of Christ’s Peace and was a good length and depth for children.

The Assurance of Pardon was accompanied by the pouring of water into the baptismal font, making for a good mind picture.

The message, “At the Table Together,” started with anecdotal story of using captain’s chairs for everyone at the table to keep the children from wandering during the meal.

For a while I think we also had more captain’s chairs than normal, and for a while it was thought that it would keep one of our younger granddaughters from falling off her chair. Even though she can sit at any chair now, it remains and we see the older children step over the arms to get out.

I do think it’s common to feel “I belong to Christ so you all are wrong.”


Jan’s thoughts:

Friends had invited us to return to hear their new pastor, and we heard a call to do so today.

The service was well attended by all age groups in spite of the weather, and though it was cold outside, it was as warm as ever inside this building and a joy, as always, to see these friends again.

We were treated to a “Mini Concert Prelude” given by a member with a beautiful voice and excellent ability on the guitar.

It was a privilege to be present for the reception of new members as well.

The sermon, “At the Table Together,” was the second part of a series on 1 Corinthians with today’s part focusing on division within the Church. I agreed with her assessment that it’s the same thing today, only the issues are different. The real issue is, will we remember Whose Church it is and Whom we are to follow?


Our prayer for this church:

Lord, we ask that You continue to heal and guide Your Church and encourage the whole body. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

No comments: