Sunday, March 9, 2014

Four Mile Church

Today we worshiped at Four Mile Church, 6078 Tuscarawas Road, Beaver, PA 15009, 724.495.6520, www.fourmile.org, Pastor Martin Williams.


Scripture – Philippians 3:10-4:1

I want to know Christ—yes, to know the power of his resurrection and participation in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, attaining to the resurrection from the dead.

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.

Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

All of us, then, who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained.

Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do. For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ. Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

Therefore, my brothers and sisters, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, stand firm in the Lord in this way, dear friends!


Bob’s thoughts:

I looked forward to revisiting Four Mile because I thought it an interesting group of buildings comprising the facility, and I remembered the large back-lit cross over the curtain.

We were greeted by the usher when we came in and a couple during the time of greeting, but they were the only ones.

The dual screens make it easy to follow the music. The bass was too strong for me but I had brought my earplugs. My knees gave out before I could stand very long to sing anyway. I enjoyed the female singer’s voice.

The sermon called us to live up to what we believe. I often talk about getting a few red bricks to the head before I hear God’s call so I appreciated the reference to a “Holy Spirit whack in the head.”

The message was likened to a stone that we put in our way that keeps us from acting on what we know to be true of God. We easily accept the first road block the devil offers us.

I found this message a wonderful call from Christ to get back to the things He has called me to. No excuses, He has rolled away my stone, no more detours. Marines are known for not backing from the fight, no more demonic stones to hold me back.

I was pleased that there were elders willing to be available for prayer after the service.


Jan’s thoughts:

I recalled no details of our last visit here 4 years ago, but as we pulled into the parking lot I recalled the excellent outdoor directional signage. The building identifiers are helpful for visitors who have no idea of the purposes for the various buildings. The interior signs match and are just as abundant.

Upon entering we were greeted and handed a bulletin. We would have looked around downstairs but we did not want to intrude on whatever was going on. It turned out to be work for a worthy cause: preparations for an all-afternoon spaghetti luncheon fundraiser.

The building and grounds were tidy. The huge cross in front was suspended in front of a drape and backlit and the effect was stunning.

We found seats in the sanctuary in the very back next to the door. There were plenty of people back and forth, but no one spoke to us, which is typical at a church with more than one service.

The music was bass-heavy but well done.

The message was part 4 of a series about our responsibilities in our faith walk, this week specifically focusing on living up to and standing firm in what we believe. The pastor asserted that if someone were to try to steal our material possessions, we would fight to keep them, and we must fight to keep our spiritual blessings also. God has graciously given us all we need to live a God-honoring life, but the Enemy will do his best to take it from us and prevent us from living the life God has planned for us. We must reclaim whatever the Enemy has stolen from us…we must not give him an inch.

Scripture tells us the struggle is a constant one. The battle may belong to the Lord, but our part is important or God would not have instructed us about such mundane details as how to dress (Ephesians 6:10-17).

The congregation was invited to come to the front during the final song for individual prayers with elders, a wonderful and important ministry.


Our prayer for this church:

Dear Lord, help us all to roll away the stones we hold in place that keep us from boldly serving You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.

No comments: