Sunday, April 20, 2014

The First United Presbyterian Church of Crafton Heights

Today we worshiped at First United Presbyterian Church of Crafton Heights, 50 Stratmore Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15205, 412.921.6153, www.chup.org, Rev. David B. Carver, Pastor.


Scripture

John 20:1-9
"Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the entrance. So she came running to Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one Jesus loved, and said, “They have taken the Lord out of the tomb, and we don’t know where they have put him!”

So Peter and the other disciple started for the tomb. Both were running, but the other disciple outran Peter and reached the tomb first. He bent over and looked in at the strips of linen lying there but did not go in. Then Simon Peter came along behind him and went straight into the tomb. He saw the strips of linen lying there, as well as the cloth that had been wrapped around Jesus’ head. The cloth was still lying in its place, separate from the linen. Finally the other disciple, who had reached the tomb first, also went inside. He saw and believed. (They still did not understand from Scripture that Jesus had to rise from the dead.)"

I Corinthians 15:12-20
"But if it is preached that Christ has been raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? If there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith. More than that, we are then found to be false witnesses about God, for we have testified about God that he raised Christ from the dead. But he did not raise him if in fact the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ are lost. If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied.

But Christ has indeed been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of those who have fallen asleep."


Bob’s thoughts:

We returned to CHUP to be infused with joy on Easter and we were filled.

We were glad to have the opportunity to join a communion service for those who missed the Maundy Thursday worship.

I am always interested in what renovations have occurred since our last visit and the ones I have noticed have been well thought out with obvious harmony between the aesthetics and mechanics and with good attention to the needs of the congregation.

The pastor who led us through the call to worship was intentional that our response of “Hallelujah” should be with emphasis since it was regarding Christ is raised.

We really enjoyed the great music produced by the small choir.

The sermon developed well and became a one-on-one talk. The tape of all our sins has been erased and forgotten in Christ.

I was questioned once on God’s name of “I Am” and fumbled through a poor answer. Now I can explain that there is no separation in time with God, that we are connected to the Cross through time and space.

I have heard people witness as to what they did to come to Christ and can only admit that I did absolutely nothing. Christ claimed and overwhelmed me completely. I will be grateful forever, but can take no credit. I don’t even know if I had the choice to say no, it was that overwhelming. Maybe it was that I stood still and admitted how far I had fallen, but my sins have been nailed to His cross and He raised me up.


Jan’s thoughts:

We last visited this church 2 ½ years ago. The transformation looks to be nearly, if not entirely complete and the sanctuary especially looks truly amazing. The updates have included spatial rearrangement, lighting modernization, and a beautiful paint job that incorporates the entire sanctuary and especially framing the chancel which looks stunning.

We arrived early enough to participate in a brief and moving service of Communion prior to worship, which I really appreciated.

The music was exceptional: the organ was forceful enough to have a spiritual impact but the four male and four female voices comprising the choir were still loud and clear to my ears. There were a couple of new, unfamiliar songs and I loved the words. The offertory was presented by a guest, Rev. Dr. Sheldon W. Sorge, who is blessed with talent on the piano.

The sermon was offered by guest preacher Dr. Tony Campolo, whose name I have heard for years but whom I never before had the pleasure of hearing. He spoke of how, if one could move fast enough, all of time could be compressed into one “now,” and that is how it is with God. He shared how he prays before getting out of bed in the morning, and he asked, “Is the resurrected Christ living in you?” I am afraid if I must ask that question, if I don’t already know the answer, I doubt the answer can be yes.

He drew on personal experience in telling how the Holy Spirit can work through someone.

1 – He advised us to develop the ability to concentrate on people and really connect with them. To look INTO and not just AT them.

2 – He said to become deeply concerned and do what you can do at any given time, regardless of how little it seems.

3 – He instructed to be committed to your faith and then ACT LIKE IT.

He closed with, “Let the Resurrected Christ be in you” to which I can only respond “Yes!”

It has been a long time since I experienced this depth of worship. This message touched me to my core. I was so very blessed by this service and this message and I am grateful to God for leading us here today.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we pray You continue to enlighten this congregation to Your purpose for them and they continue to experience the joy of serving You. Amen.

No comments: