Sunday, April 6, 2014

Grace Community Church

Yesterday we worshiped at Grace Community Church, 9160 Marshall Road, Cranberry Township, PA 16066, 724.779.7997, www.mygcc.org, Matt Kaltenberger, Lead Pastor.


Scripture – 2 Timothy 1:9-14

He has saved us and called us to a holy life – not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day.

What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you – guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.


Bob’s thoughts:

In the recovery room of a local hospital we met a nurse who told us about this service (evangelism works everywhere), so we have looked forward to visiting this church for the Saturday evening service.

We had worshiped in their old location twice before they built this spacious new church.

Worship is held in an auditorium with comfortable seats and good aisle spacing and even cup holders. I remember the lack of a cross at the old location and as large as the new place is, I still couldn’t find one.

Visitors were offered an exception from the offering, something with which I disagree. I wore earplugs but may not have needed them; with the smoke generators and lights on stage, I guessed the volume would be too loud for my ears. The female leads were agreeable.

There was no chance for confession of sin before Communion (it was addressed after, though) so we abstained. The elements were served efficiently and silently, both passed together.

The sermon was the first in a series called “Believe It or Not” which asked what we believe as Christians. More appropriately in whom do we believe? We tend to try to acquire facts but what we need is to believe in Christ even when we don’t understand. May we boldly say “I know whom I have believed.”


Jan’s thoughts:

I will attend a bridal shower this afternoon, so we took this as an opportunity to attend a Saturday evening service we had wanted for some time to attend.

We visited this church twice before, but this was our first visit to their new facility. It sits at the top of a hill and is spread out with an abundance of parking. As we approached the building, greeters welcomed us with open doors and smiles; several others smiled and said hello also. This is a warm welcome for a huge church with three weekend services.

We anticipated needing earplugs, which we later learned the church provides although we did not see them. We usually prefer sitting as far back as possible, but those seats were reserved and unavailable. However even with my sensitive ears the volume was just fine and I didn’t need them after all.

The music was well done and it was a pleasure to hear the female voices leading from the crowded stage. I’m not such a fan of smoke, so was happy we were as far back as we were, but the audience seemed captivated. The songs were new to me, but still Christ-centered praise music.

I was surprised there was no opportunity for confession of sin prior to serving Communion. Instead the prayer of thanksgiving afterward included a general confession.

This was week one of a series, “Believe It or Not,” which asks “What do you REALLY believe about God, Jesus, salvation, and life?” I totally agree: the biggest question comes when we try to match up our expectations about God with our own experiences and what we see in the world.

He used questions such as, “Is it possible to have complete confidence in God even when we don’t have complete understanding?” and “What if He does what you don’t expect?” to bring home the point: “Instead of interpreting God’s character through your circumstances, interpret your circumstances through God’s character.” Everything changes when we, like Paul, can say that we are “not ashamed because I know WHOM I have believed.” It’s the personal relationship that changes everything.

When our son was killed in an auto accident, this became the central question in my heart. I never expected it. It never occurred to me that God would allow something like that. My questions to God about why will probably not be answered this side of heaven. Instead the answer that has come is that God is good and sovereign and through faith in Christ Jesus, as Pastor Matt stated, “even if you die, you live.”

We will all die eventually. The only question is our destiny, which is based on our own choice. If you have not already accepted God’s invitation to faith in His Son, I pray you will take Him up on it. It changes everything – past, present, and future.


Our prayer for this church:

Lord God, help us to break free from the world’s ways and may our faith be in You alone. Amen.

No comments: