Sunday, September 28, 2014

Bellevue Christian Church

Today we worshiped at Bellevue Christian Church, 680 Lincoln Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15202, 412.761.2754, www.bellevue-christian.com, Chuck Gohn, Lead Minister.


Scripture – John 14:12 NIV
Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.


Bob’s thoughts:

It is hard to complain when I come across a large broken-mirror cross, but I did wish it was in the front of the sanctuary. A few people said hello during the service but other than the obligatory greeting time, only one person welcomed us.

I enjoyed the stained glass, the wooden ceiling, and especially the choir…it’s always great to see choirs that smile.

I wish we had an opportunity to hear more of the violin.

The congregation seems diverse and friendly with each other.

We understand the pastor was recovering from surgery. I don’t know if his stand-in had preached before. I had a lot of difficulty understanding what was said as it seemed very fast.

During Communion there was a cross projected on the screen.

We did have a moving experience afterward at the traveling Vietnam War Memorial in Beaver.


Jan’s thoughts:

As we walked into this well-kept building, I was struck by the stunning expanse of stained glass over the main entry doors. Little did I know there would be more inside, along with a large cross made from broken glass.

A greeter handed us bulletins and upon request pointed us toward the restrooms. It turned out there was signage, I just could not read it from that distance. As we came back upstairs to the sanctuary, a gentleman greeted us. It is common for multi-service churches not to recognize new faces as visitors.

The music was contemporary and included a violin, which added surprisingly to the sound. The worship leader played the piano and the choir backed her up, blending well. We were pleased to be sitting directly behind a baby who sang along with the voice of an angel.

The message entitled “Living With the Resurrection in Mind” was presented by a guest, Jamie Weiss, an Associate from His Place Contact Center (www.hisplacecc.org). In a comment he connected with sci-fi movies, he urged listeners to see life “4th dimensionally – see it as it will be,” as well as to remember to take an active role in God’s work and worry less about ourselves. We will find we have left a mark on earth because our minds were on heaven.

I appreciated participating in Communion and especially that instructions were projected on the screen.


Our prayer for this church:
Father, we pray You open the congregation’s hearts to the direction You are leading this church. Amen.

No comments: