Sunday, March 15, 2015

The River at New Heights

Today we worshiped at The River at New Heights, 2365 Wharrey Drive, Sewickley, PA 15143, 412.741.0598, www.therivernewheights.com, Mark Helsel, Campus Pastor.


Scripture – John 14:15-17 NIV

And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.


Bob’s thoughts:

While discussing which of two churches to visit today, we wondered why we were led to the one that was least practical for the next part of our day.

We were warmly welcomed and provided with history and information on the church, and directed toward the coffee. I wondered if others saw us talking with the one member and the pastor and that was why they walked past us.

The sanctuary was set up with stuffed armchairs with tables and chairs in the rear set up for a luncheon.

The signage was adequate and the building handicapped accessible.

The words were projected above the stage with good contrast between the words and background scenes that added to the music. The praise team’s volume was agreeable and the only thing lacking for me was a cross.

The sermon was part of a series and dealt with Christ’s last words before He was crucified. The pastor talked about some of our last words and regrets. Like Christ, we should have no regrets if we back off from the world and let the Spirit lead.

I have always said how little choice I had when I came to Christ; I was completely overwhelmed, changed so completely that I wouldn’t be recognized and people who knew me then still marvel.

It was a joy to talk with the pastor after the service; I knew our paths had crossed somewhere before.

There was a young woman greeting at the door who smiled as she walked by us near the end of the service. It may not seem like much, but it can change a visitor’s perspective of the friendliness of a congregation. It reminded me of a church where a three-year-old girl smiled at me as we were going into the building. That was the only acknowledgement there from anyone, yet I left that church thinking it was a warm congregation because we had been greeted by the minister’s young daughter and not even her father.


Jan’s thoughts:

This church has been on our list for a while, and today turned out to be the day to visit.

I was slightly confused about the location or I would have driven past it if not for the signage on the main road. However we were plenty early and so had time to look around and chat with some people, a couple of whom did talk to us including a woman who had been with this church for some time and was well-versed in its history.

The building is thoughtfully laid out with a contemporary feel to it, including two Keurigs (one for coffee and one for tea) at the coffee bar. The active children’s ministry was evident from the colorfully decorated rooms and hallways. The entry area was intimate enough that not much signage was required, but the restroom doors bore signs, which were helpful.

And then there was the sanctuary, which was so different-looking that I’m tempted to call it the worship space instead. There was no stained glass and no pews, which is not that different, but this large room was painted with soothing shades of purple and green with track lights for the stage and lamps elsewhere for indirect lighting. The chairs were contemporary as well: stuffed, with the backs and arms at the same height, so it felt like I was being hugged as I sat there. All the chairs were in the front 2/3 of the room and round tables set up in the rear third for a volunteer appreciation lunch following worship.

The bulletin was mostly announcements and quite attractively produced.

The praise band consisted of two gentlemen on guitars and one on drums. They had a good sound, but somewhat hard due in large part to the overly-loud volume of the drums.

I knew some of the songs, but the changing of the projected words was inconsistent and at times not in sync with the music in time to catch the beginning of a new phrase.

I loved the video that considered questions about the role of the Holy Spirit in our lives. As the narrator spoke of how the Spirit works differently in each person’s life, the person onscreen installed light bulbs into sockets….and each light bulb was a different shape, size, or even texture. It was thought-provoking and well done.

The message was then paused for announcements and taking up the offering, which I don’t believe I’ve ever seen before.

The message was part of the current series called “One Last Goodbye.” He mentioned that last week’s message emphasized that only one thing counts – love. Without love, nothing we do has any lasting significance. This week’s Scripture was “God sharing the most important things you can hear.” Could there be anything in the world more important?

He spoke of Bronnie Ware, a nurse in Australia, whose calling it is to care for people during the last 3-6 weeks of their lives. In her book called “The Top 5 Regrets of the Dying” she lists them as:
5 – “I wish I had let myself be happier.”
4 – “I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.”
3 – “I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.”
2 – “I wish I hadn’t worked so hard.”
1 – “I wish I’d had the courage to live my dreams instead of the life others wanted me to live.”

However, Jesus had no regrets and he doesn’t want us to have any either.

The pastor went on to give his personal before-and-after testimony about the difference the Holy Spirit has made in his heart and life. He ended by assuring everyone that the Holy Spirit will take you on an adventure if you are willing the follow the Leader.

It takes courage, faith, and commitment to live a life without regrets.


Our prayer for this church:
Father, we pray You bless the efforts of this church in their efforts to live for You. Amen.

No comments: