Sunday, May 3, 2015

Beaver Valley Wesleyan Methodist Church

Today we worshiped at Beaver Valley Wesleyan Methodist Church, 2282 Constitution Blvd., Beaver Falls, PA 15010, 724.843.6625, www.beavervalleywmc.org, Pastor Dan Hardy.


Scripture – NIV

2 Timothy 3:16-17 –
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Isaiah 55:10-11 –
As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

Romans 10:17 –
Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.


Bob’s thoughts:

I noticed something in the paper about a road clean-up that ended at this church and didn’t realize till we arrived that it was a church we had driven by many times and considered visiting. We were greeted at the door by the pastor.

We arrived as Sunday School in the sanctuary was winding down to an almost seamless move into worship.

I enjoyed the large wooden cross on the front wall of the sanctuary. When it came time to pray and most of the congregation knelt facing the rear of the church I wondered if there shouldn’t be another cross on the rear wall.

The music was mostly the pastor’s fine voice.

The message was given by a man from The Gideons International. I have heard only a few presentations from them but I must have been paying attention as I remembered some of the testimonies given. He opened with some astronomical figures as to the size of the universe and like most, I question where these guesses come from.

I too believe every word of the Bible is God-given and have an easier time accepting the creation story given there.


Jan’s thoughts:

Bob found mention of this church in the caption of a newspaper photo this week, so today we went. As we walked in the front door a gentleman greeted us warmly and introduced himself as the pastor. The adult Sunday School class was in process in the sanctuary so we opted to wait until it was over to find a seat.

I noticed no signage, but once we entered the back of the sanctuary there was a hallway and restrooms. I don’t think there was much more to the building.

Most greetings took the form of smiles and brief hellos.

The only evidence of musical instruments was a keyboard, and the pastor led the singing with his strong voice.

The message was given by a member of The Gideons, and I learned some things about their organization and work. I knew they were responsible for the Bibles found in hotel rooms, but was not aware they operate in many countries where missionaries are prohibited. They have distributed more than 2 billion Bibles and New Testaments.

The gentleman who spoke conveyed testimonies of bringing people to Christ through simple conversations guided by God and graciously used for His purposes.

It was an informative and uplifting message and I was glad we were there.

After worship we enjoyed a conversation with the pastor and learned he and his family will soon be moving and in another month or so another pastor will shepherd this flock. My sense is that he will be missed greatly.


Our prayer for this church:

Lord, You know the apprehension this church feels about the changes You are making there. We know they are in Your infinite care and thank You for giving them this opportunity to grow. Amen.

No comments: