Sunday, September 25, 2016

NorthWay Christian Community

Today we worshiped at NorthWay Christian Community, 1414 Beaver Street, Sewickley, PA 15143, 724.935.6800, www.northway.org, Scott McCabe, Campus Pastor.


Scripture –

James 1:5-8 ESV –
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. For that person must not suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.”

Proverbs 16:18 ESV –
Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.

Genesis 3:6 MSG –
When the Woman saw that the tree looked like good eating and realized what she would get out of it—she’d know everything!—she took and ate the fruit and then gave some to her husband, and he ate.

John 15:1-11 ESV –
"I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser. Every branch in me that does not bear fruit he takes away, and every branch that does bear fruit he prunes, that it may bear more fruit. Already you are clean because of the word that I have spoken to you. Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. By this my Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit and so prove to be my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.”

Philippians 2:3-8 NIV –
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death— even death on a cross!

1 Timothy 6:17-18 NIV –
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.


Bob’s thoughts:

We were greeted by a few people, including meeting two Marines near the door who didn’t know they were brothers beyond Christ.

Although they are not saddled with a church building, they meet in a school, so perhaps they are prohibited from displaying a cross.

It was easy to follow the music and message with the three large projection screens.

The sermon was the final message of a three-part series titled “What Was I Thinking?” with a focus on ‘pride or abide.’ Plenty of Scripture quotes and scholarly commentary supported the message and I liked the line: “Where Satan doesn’t go personally, he sends a critic.”

She talked about how vanity, deceit, and arrogance cause an alienation from God. My Marine pride was a stumbling block till I learned to submit that to Christ (Philippians 4:13).

The message included Scripture from John about the Vine and the branches. This reminded me of when we moved from a home where I had painted ivy on the wall and before we moved, felt directed to include the Scripture. I always hoped God found a way to use it.

It was great to see a healthy mix of ages at this service; lots of young people is indicative of a healthy church.

We enjoyed a pleasant conversation with some church leaders and the pastor after the service.


Jan’s thoughts:

We sensed God’s nudging us to visit NorthWay and opted to visit a campus we’ve not seen before.

This location meets at an elementary school, which means each week all the accoutrements are moved in and set up for worship and then moved back out afterward, obviously an incredible effort by an extremely dedicated team.

We arrived just as the service was starting and were greeted at the door by a gentleman who turned out to be a Marine who had been stationed in some of the same parts of Vietnam where Bob served. We committed to meeting after worship to discuss this connection further when two other Marines greeted Bob. I always enjoy witnessing these reunions of “brothers from different mothers.”

The music was robust so we found seats at the back, then watched with some surprise as our first Marine friend entered and sat with his wife immediately in front of us.

We learned during the announcements about some of the mission efforts of this church during October, one ambitious one aimed at making a difference in the Aliquippa area. Also today was Small Group Connect, where the various small groups were set up at tables and interested parties could talk to someone and/or sign up to join a specific small group.

The message was presented by a member of the staff, Shannon Libengood, who had spent a fair amount of time (8 years, I think she said) as a long-term overseas missionary. This week’s message was the final in a series entitled “What Was I Thinking?” The first week focused on doubts, the second on fear, and this week’s title was “The Culprit of Pride.”

I always know when the message was one I want to remember because I take lots of notes, and today I took more than that…so many that I don’t know where to begin. So I will blatantly copy the message notes so kindly provided as we entered worship because this says it all:

Pride defined:
“There is one vice of which no man in the world is free; which everyone loathes when he sees it in someone else; and of which hardly any people, except Christians, ever imagine that they are guilty themselves… And the more we have it ourselves, the more we dislike it in others… According to Christian teachers, the essential vice, the utmost evil, is Pride. Unchastity, anger, greed, drunkenness, and all that, are mere fleabites in comparison: it was through Pride that the devil became the devil: Pride leads to every other vice: it is the complete anti-God state of mind.”
~C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity

Pride defined in our relationship…

…with God, is an excessive belief in one’s own abilities that interferes with our recognition of the grace of God.

...with others, is dangerously corrupt selfishness, the putting of one’s own desires, urges, wants, and whims before the welfare of people.

Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.
(Proverbs 16:18, ESV)

Pride expressed: Vanity, conceit, and arrogance

Fruit of pride: Conflict, gossip, and alienation from God

Where there is strife, there is pride, but wisdom is found in those who take
advice. (Proverbs 13:10, NIV)

Again, the above is directly from today’s message notes and not written by me.

She ended with a powerful statement: “A war is being fought over our souls daily.” Indeed. And we see the fruits of that battle every time we look at the suffering in our world. Or in our hearts.

Satan is the enemy of our souls and he will stop at nothing in his attempt to snatch us away. Praise God that through His Son, once we are in His hand, He will never let us go (John 10:28).


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, it is encouraging to see the enthusiasm for mission through Your people at this church. We pray for Your continued guidance and encouragement upon them as they go. Amen.

No comments: