Saturday, September 17, 2016

Westside Christian Church

This past Sunday, we worshiped at Westside Christian Church, 5086 Styers Ferry Road, Lewisville, NC 27023, 336.777.6185, www.westside.cc/, Marty Anderson, Lead Minister.


Scripture – NIV

John 8:32 –
“Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

1 John 1:8-9 –
If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Luke 7:36-50 –
When one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, he went to the Pharisee’s house and reclined at the table. A woman in that town who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume. As she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them.

When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is—that she is a sinner.”

Jesus answered him, “Simon, I have something to tell you.”

“Tell me, teacher,” he said.

“Two people owed money to a certain moneylender. One owed him five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. Neither of them had the money to pay him back, so he forgave the debts of both. Now which of them will love him more?”

Simon replied, “I suppose the one who had the bigger debt forgiven.”

“You have judged correctly,” Jesus said.

Then he turned toward the woman and said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but this woman, from the time I entered, has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven—as her great love has shown. But whoever has been forgiven little loves little.”

Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”

The other guests began to say among themselves, “Who is this who even forgives sins?”

Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.””

1 Timothy 1:15 –
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst.

Ephesians 2:8-9 –
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast.

Psalm 139:1-18, 23-24 –
You have searched me, Lord, and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
you, Lord, know it completely.
You hem me in behind and before,
and you lay your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.

Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,”
even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

How precious to me are your thoughts, God!
How vast is the sum of them!
Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand—
when I awake, I am still with you.

Search me, God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.


Bob’s thoughts:

I am always overjoyed when I have uncertainties about a church we have not worshiped at and God overwhelms me with His Presence. We needed Christ’s comfort and reassurance this day, and we found it here.

We were warmly welcomed, engaged in conversation, and offered coffee. I was pleased to see a 7-11 nearby where I could get a decaf.

I enjoyed the female worship leaders’ voices together and was pleased to hear them solo. I especially liked their rendition of “If We’re Honest,” a perfect segue to the message about honesty. The sermon was well supported by Scripture references throughout and the pastor interjected personal humorous notes for application, such as interpreting online dating site ads.

Who can you be honest with? Who can be honest with you? Can we live life without a filter? The pastor’s best line: “If you are perfect, you can leave…except Jesus, You can stay.”

While I was disappointed to not find a cross, I did think the wall above the baptismal would be a perfect place for one.

The pastor talked of women crying uncontrollably and most could relate. I’ve never known those uncontrolled tears, but when our son was killed, these Marine eyes did sweat profusely.

Communion was served, albeit silently, by people stationed around the sanctuary space.


Jan’s thoughts:

While visiting Winston-Salem, we ended up near this church in the company of a homeless veteran who had no place else to go and was truly uplifted by the service. The church is situated in a strip mall, which seems fairly common in the south. We were ushered inside by one of the greeters who graciously showed us around, pointing out the Land of a Thousand Hills free-trade coffee (some of the best I’ve had anywhere), and invited us to feel at ease.

People continuously stopped to welcome us and introduce themselves, taking time to chat and ask where we were from…maybe they thought we had an accent.

Some of the signage was painted on the walls, and the lobby area was comfortably arranged with chairs, sofas, and a couple of tables. On one wall was a whiteboard containing Post-It notes bearing handwritten prayer requests.

The auditorium/worship area was spacious and comfortable with an excellent praise band and vocalists.

The sermon series was called “No Filter” and centered on the question, “Can I be honest?” This is a big question for most people, he pointed out. “Confession and vulnerability are painful, but a life of truth is freedom,” he said.

The topic turned to the masks we wear, the filters of what we wish to share with various people in our world. He stated mask hides scars and attempts to make sure others see only our successes and strengths, our “best” sides, which, he pointed out, cannot be seen from our own perspective, the inside of the mask.

He asked questions: where else do we wear masks? What do our kids see? Where can you be at peace without a mask? Then reminded that we must remove the mask with Jesus…He knows the truth already. He declared that Jesus will forgive every sin we confess honestly to Him. And:
1.    The more honest you are with God, the better you know His mercy.
2.    When you know God’s mercy, you can be honest with others.
3.    When we are honest with others, we can show them mercy.

He said we can start by showing mercy to our spouse and children, that home should be a safe place to fail, and show mercy to others in the church with “me too” statements that let them know that we’re the same and we struggle in the same ways. It’s how we find – and help others fine - find forgiveness, hope, mercy, and a future.

I was glad to partake of Communion at the conclusion of the service.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we felt Your power behind this church You are growing. We pray for Your continued Presence as they go forth in Your Name. Amen.

No comments: