Monday, November 28, 2016

New Church

Yesterday we worshiped at New Church, meeting location – Robinhood Road Family YMCA, 3474 Robinhood Road, Winston-Salem, NC 27106, 336.293.4495, www.newchurchnc.org, Pastor T.J. Ward.


Scripture – NLT

Matthew 14:22-28 –

Immediately after this, Jesus insisted that his disciples get back into the boat and cross to the other side of the lake, while he sent the people home. After sending them home, he went up into the hills by himself to pray. Night fell while he was there alone.

Meanwhile, the disciples were in trouble far away from land, for a strong wind had risen, and they were fighting heavy waves. About three o’clock in the morning Jesus came toward them, walking on the water. When the disciples saw him walking on the water, they were terrified. In their fear, they cried out, “It’s a ghost!”

But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here! ”

Then Peter called to him, “Lord, if it’s really you, tell me to come to you, walking on the water.”

John 3:17 –

God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him.

Matthew 26:36-44 –

Then Jesus went with them to the olive grove called Gethsemane, and he said, “Sit here while I go over there to pray.” He took Peter and Zebedee’s two sons, James and John, and he became anguished and distressed. He told them, “My soul is crushed with grief to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”

He went on a little farther and bowed with his face to the ground, praying, “My Father! If it is possible, let this cup of suffering be taken away from me. Yet I want your will to be done, not mine.”

Then he returned to the disciples and found them asleep. He said to Peter, “Couldn’t you watch with me even one hour? Keep watch and pray, so that you will not give in to temptation. For the spirit is willing, but the body is weak!”

Then Jesus left them a second time and prayed, “My Father! If this cup cannot be taken away unless I drink it, your will be done.” When he returned to them again, he found them sleeping, for they couldn’t keep their eyes open.

So he went to pray a third time, saying the same things again.


Bob’s thoughts:

I searched Google for a church near where our daughter is living and the name New Church caught my interest. It was only a few miles away and on our route out of town going home. I admit the name made me wonder if there is an “Old Church,” but that’s the way my head is wired.

We were welcomed and shown the way to the worship area. The church is meeting in a YMCA and perhaps is not allowed a cross.

I was glad I brought earplugs and after a few songs I probably could have done without them.

The church recently purchased property and are working to pay it off while looking toward building a permanent structure.

The pastor’s brother-in-law delivered the message, the finale of a “No Fear November” series. The sermon centered on our fear of commitment and was well supported by Scripture. When he talked of Peter walking on water with Christ, it brought back a memory from my time in the Marines.

I was on the LPH Iwo Jima and we were in a typhoon, a storm so severe we needed to secure our helicopters with huge chains. Doing this with the ship bobbing severely in the rough seas with pouring rain came the reality that our aircraft would be safe but we would never be found if we were washed overboard. I have successfully taught many people to swim but still struggle with it myself. I learned to be drown-proof but in seas that rough it really wouldn’t matter. I don’t think we did our job with faith like Peter, just fear of those ordering us to the task.

We were privileged to spend a little time with the pastor after the service and hear a bit of how God is using this church.


Jan’s thoughts:

We decided to attend worship before leaving the area following our Thanksgiving visit with our daughter and granddaughters. I believe this was our first church visit at a YMCA location, and it was obvious a great deal of effort was put into setting up everything.

We were welcomed from the moment we entered: a young man offered to show us around, pointed out the restrooms, and the direction of the worship area. While Bob used the facilities, I went to find a place to sit. The music was playing as I entered and as I looked for a seat as far back as possible a gentleman attempted to guide me. I explained we would need to sit wherever it would be least loud, and he knew just where to place us. He was gracious and kind and I appreciated his expertise.

The music was well done, but as with last week, I did not know the songs. I declined the earplugs offered by our new friend, though I literally felt the bass in my chest.

The chairs were all arranged toward the front, providing plenty of room for expansion.

We learned in conversation with the pastor afterward that this non-denominational church really is new…they began in 2011 with 12 people and have since grown to approximately 400. They support a number of local missions as well as equipping and sending people to plant churches around the world.

The church recently purchased land for a building of their own and they are close to accomplishing their goal of paying off that purchase prior to moving forward.

The pastor introduced the guest preacher, Josh Sheetz, who also happened to be his brother-in-law. Josh hails from Jacksonville, Florida, and exuded genuine praise for his brother-in-law’s leadership skills.

This message was the final part of a series entitled No Fear November and this week’s topic was the Fear of Commitment. He defined commitment as dedication to a cause or activity that requires risk and investment and provides the benefits of trust and joy.

He stated: 1 – commitment is counter-cultural…our culture applauds lack of commitment; 2 – commitment creates Christ-likeness…Jesus’ commitment was strengthened as He was tempted in the desert and we are called from what we know; 3 – commitment requires risk but culminates with incredible outcomes…at some point, we realize we need God’s help, and Jesus is glorified when we risk.

He concluded by suggesting everyone ask God where He wants us to commit courageously.

The pastor graciously took time between services to tell us some of the history of New Church.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we praise You for the powerful witness this church has been and pray You continue to strengthen and guide them into the future You have planned for them. Amen.

No comments: