Sunday, May 7, 2017

Glenwillard United Methodist Church

Today we worshiped at Glenwillard United Methodist Church, 1328 Main Street, Crescent Township, PA 15046, 724.457.6325, www.glenwillardumc.org, Rev. Dennis L. Bouch, Pastor.


Scripture – John 10:1-10 NIV

“Very truly I tell you Pharisees, anyone who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.” Jesus used this figure of speech, but the Pharisees did not understand what he was telling them.

Therefore Jesus said again, “Very truly I tell you, I am the gate for the sheep. All who have come before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep have not listened to them. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. They will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”


Bob’s thoughts:

We received the Marine welcome I expected right inside the door and a moment of prayer with the pastor when we shared good news about a family member.

We were warmly greeted by most of the congregation; there is a real feeling of being with family here.

There are enough crosses to satisfy even me, and it was great to see smiles from the four-member choir.

The smiles that made me melt were from the children sitting in the pew in front of us…they were joy to watch throughout the service. The mutual hug from the little one with her acolyte brother was especially sweet.

Another that warmed my heart was when a young lady waved to the pastor and he waved back, then I watched her exchange a reciprocal fist bump with an usher as she went forward for Communion. These small things speak volumes and make a huge difference.

The message was on Christ calling us by name, something I’ve never gotten over…the idea that of the billions of people on Earth, Christ called me, a worthless sinner, by name. The simple analogy of the shepherd and his sheep was not lost on those he was calling but was beneath the reasoning of the religious elite. Sadly, I think that still applies today: His call is unheard unless we are willing to listen. He calls us where we are, not where we might someday be. He offers Himself to the hopeless sinners we are, filthy foul-smelling sheep, to come and be cleansed.

We were pleased to partake of Communion and to be able to serve the elements to the pastor. We enjoyed an uplifting time of worship.


Jan’s thoughts:

As we entered the building we immediately encountered the pastor, who has become a friend. He asked about a family situation and after we updated him he prayed with us.

The church held a flea market yesterday and things were still set up. Since we arrived plenty early, we wandered around some then went back upstairs. We were greeted by all the Marines in the congregation and by nearly everyone else.

I enjoyed watching the pastor greet each person who came in as well as the members as they greeted each other. Clearly my sense of the closeness within this congregation was on target.

The traditional music was led by a well-played organ and four strong voices.

The message, entitled “The Good Shepherd,” emphasized that Jesus knows the name of every one of His sheep and He calls each in a distinct and personal way. However, we must choose to listen.

One night, years ago, as I faced the possibility of a frightening medical diagnosis, I tried to sleep but my mind churned with the possibilities the future held. However, I only saw the negative options, so peace eluded me. Bob was asleep, and as I lay there, I heard a voice call my name as clear as day. I stopped thinking and waited, listening for more, but there was only quiet. As I pondered what might be going on, I realized I felt calm in my spirit. I was no longer afraid and I knew all would be well, which it was.

Indeed, God knows our names and He knows how to communicate with us, whether we are running from Him or thrashing about in fear. He knows and He cares.

We were blessed to partake in Communion and even more so in the opportunity to offer the elements to the pastor.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we pray You continue to bless Your little family church and may they continue to respond to the sound of Your voice. Amen.

No comments: