Sunday, June 18, 2017

Crossroads Church

Today we worshiped at Crossroads Church, 8533 Peters Road, Cranberry Township, PA 16066, 412.494.9999, www.crossroadsumc.org, Mike Arnold, Campus Pastor.


Scripture – NLT

Genesis 12:1-3 –

The Lord had said to Abram, “Leave your native country, your relatives, and your father’s family, and go to the land that I will show you. I will make you into a great nation. I will bless you and make you famous, and you will be a blessing to others. I will bless those who bless you and curse those who treat you with contempt. All the families on earth will be blessed through you.”

Matthew 28:18-20 –

Jesus came and told his disciples, “I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth. Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Romans 5:5-6 –

And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners.

1 Thessalonians 5:17 –

Never stop praying.

Philippians 1:6 –

And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.


Bob’s thoughts:

We had the opportunity to witness some of our grandchildren show some of what they learned in Vacation Bible School this past week. It was a joy to see so many of the children loudly singing what they learned while using the appropriate hand and body signs. I know I will be hearing some of these songs when I visit.

It was a joy to worship with some familiar faces where we are always made to feel welcome. Their great coffee doesn’t hurt either.

The pastor started by asking the church to see how long they could hold their breath, holding their hand up until they had to breathe. I can’t really breathe well, and with what I’ve done to my rotator cuffs, I can’t hold my arms up well either. The exercise was a lead-in to today’s message about breathing in God’s blessings and remembering to breathe those blessings out on others. This I can readily relate to; God has blessed me overwhelmingly, and as great as that has been, it wouldn’t be worth near as much without praying that blessing on others.

I’m learning to seek out those who look to be in pain or distress…many times tears flow when I ask to pray over/for them. I feel guilty to feel so blessed for praying for others.

I look at four different newspapers along with other news sources, and none of them covered the citizen who caught the two escaped murderers. All said an armed citizen stopped them, but none related his story of not using his guns, but prayer. He said when they came, they laid down in his driveway and gave up, including when one who got up, got a drink of water, and went back to his position of surrender. Prayer works!

I loved the addition of the flute for the last song; it added a lot to an already terrific worship team.


Jan’s thoughts:

It’s always a joy to visit this church, but today was special. Seven of our grandchildren attended Kids XP (Vacation Bible School) here last week and today they participated in the worship service via an extremely enthusiastic music presentation.

The service was well attended, even requiring the set-up of additional seating, and we would have stayed for the picnic lunch afterward but the heat was just too much for either of us.

The Father’s Day video was a powerful testimony to the importance of a male role model in a young man’s life.

The message series was called “5 Simple Ways to Bless” with today’s first part entitled “Breathe and Pray.” He stated that we are created to breathe in God’s blessings and then to bless others where we live, work, and play.

He spoke of praying toward pain instead of turning from it, of praying for others as I walk around during the day, and praying for God to create spiritual curiosity in those for whom I pray.

Just this morning I was asking God what I should pray for, so I’m grateful for this answer to my prayer.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we have seen how You have blessed this church. Direct them as they continue to breathe out those blessings. Amen.

No comments: