Sunday, July 9, 2017

Coraopolis Church of the Nazarene

Today we worshiped at Coraopolis Church of the Nazarene, 386 Shafer Road, Moon Township, PA 15108, 412.264.4582, www.coraopolisnazarene.org, Rev. Greg Kasler, Pastor.


Scripture – Ephesians 1:15-23 NKJV –

Therefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints, do not cease to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers: that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him, the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of His power toward us who believe, according to the working of His mighty power which He worked in Christ when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, far above all principality and power and might and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in that which is to come.

And He put all things under His feet, and gave Him to be head over all things to the church, which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.


Bob’s thoughts:

We arrived just as the service was starting due to poor directions and doubling back right before we reached the church, so there was little chance for greeting. The usher made sure we found our way to the service though.

I liked the wooden cross on the diagonal wood paneling on the rear wall of the chancel and I appreciated singing and hearing praise music we were familiar with.

There was a cute toddler near the front who, as usual, I smiled at till I got a smile in response. I was a little disappointed when my wife pointed out the two girls in front of us who were probably who the little one was smiling at instead of me.

The pastor’s message was part of a series, “Digging in to Ephesians” and raised the question “What is the church to be?”

He told of an elderly woman who had been active in the church but was finding herself limited and lamented, “All I can do is pray.” I wish we were all so limited that we would accomplish what should be our primary goal and pray.

I got to share with the pastor the story of my elderly neighbor who became a prayer warrior and how God has used that interaction to inspire me to suggest to the churches we visit that they ask their shut-in members to take on this important role for the church.


Jan’s thoughts:

We arrived just as the service was beginning so we had no opportunity for greetings or to wander around the building. A gentleman greeted us at the door with a bulletin and ushered us into the sanctuary where we found seats immediately.

The sanctuary is uncluttered and the colors are well coordinated. I liked the cross and the pattern of woodwork behind the platform.

The contemporary music was well done with excellent volume.

The message series is called “Digging in to Ephesians” and today’s entry was “Our Identity in Christ.” The pastor stated that when most of us pray, we pray for others to come to know Christ or for strength to do our real work, but in Ephesians we learn that prayer IS the real work. Too often people say, “All I can do is pray,” and the pastor advised that if you can do other things, make sure you’re praying first.

This message put a different spin on how to pray for others, that instead of simply praying for physical or spiritual needs, I should be praying:

1 – that others, even if they already know God, may come to know Him better;

2 – that others will know the hope to which God has called them;

3 – that they will know His incomparably great power, the power of the Holy Spirit, Who lives in all believers.

I appreciated this message and plan to keep those points handy for my prayer time.

Several people, including the pastor, made it a point to introduce themselves after worship, which was much appreciated.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we pray Your church will catch on to the calling You are leading them to that they also may avow, “All I can do is pray!” Amen.

No comments: