Sunday, October 15, 2017

Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church

Today we worshiped at Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, 557 Perry Highway, Harmony, PA 16037, 724.452.8886, www.zioninharmony.com.


Scripture – NASB

Isaiah 25:1-9 –

O LORD, You are my God;
I will exalt You, I will give thanks to Your name;
For You have worked wonders,
Plans formed long ago, with perfect faithfulness.
For You have made a city into a heap,
A fortified city into a ruin;
A palace of strangers is a city no more,
It will never be rebuilt.
Therefore a strong people will glorify You;
Cities of ruthless nations will revere You.
For You have been a defense for the helpless,
A defense for the needy in his distress,
A refuge from the storm, a shade from the heat;
For the breath of the ruthless
Is like a rain storm against a wall.
Like heat in drought, You subdue the uproar of aliens;
Like heat by the shadow of a cloud, the song of the ruthless is silenced.
The LORD of hosts will prepare a lavish banquet for all peoples on this mountain;
A banquet of aged wine, choice pieces with marrow,
And refined, aged wine.
And on this mountain He will swallow up the covering which is over all peoples,
Even the veil which is stretched over all nations.
He will swallow up death for all time,
And the Lord GOD will wipe tears away from all faces,
And He will remove the reproach of His people from all the earth;
For the LORD has spoken.
And it will be said in that day,
"Behold, this is our God for whom we have waited that He might save us.
This is the LORD for whom we have waited;
Let us rejoice and be glad in His salvation."

Psalm 23 –

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; You have anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

Philippians 4:1-9 –

Therefore, my beloved brethren whom I long to see, my joy and crown, in this way stand firm in the Lord, my beloved.

I urge Euodia and I urge Syntyche to live in harmony in the Lord. Indeed, true companion, I ask you also to help these women who have shared my struggle in the cause of the gospel, together with Clement also and the rest of my fellow workers, whose names are in the book of life.

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Matthew 22:1-14 –

Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying, "The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a king who gave a wedding feast for his son. And he sent out his slaves to call those who had been invited to the wedding feast, and they were unwilling to come. Again he sent out other slaves saying, 'Tell those who have been invited, "Behold, I have prepared my dinner; my oxen and my fattened livestock are all butchered and everything is ready; come to the wedding feast."' But they paid no attention and went their way, one to his own farm, another to his business, and the rest seized his slaves and mistreated them and killed them. But the king was enraged, and he sent his armies and destroyed those murderers and set their city on fire. Then he said to his slaves, 'The wedding is ready, but those who were invited were not worthy. Go therefore to the main highways, and as many as you find there, invite to the wedding feast.' Those slaves went out into the streets and gathered together all they found, both evil and good; and the wedding hall was filled with dinner guests.

"But when the king came in to look over the dinner guests, he saw a man there who was not dressed in wedding clothes, and he said to him, 'Friend, how did you come in here without wedding clothes?' And the man was speechless. Then the king said to the servants, 'Bind him hand and foot, and throw him into the outer darkness; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.' For many are called, but few are chosen."


Bob’s thoughts:

We were welcomed by a number of people and it made me wonder what prompts folks to say hello. In a church of 50 or so worshipers, visitors often stand out. I frequently seek someone who looks busy to ask how to get my shut-in prayer information letter to the right person. Today a woman took the time to engage us in conversation, and in the course of it I learned she has a ministry to their shut-in members. If God orchestrates something as simple as that for us, I wonder what else He is doing in our lives every day.

She also stopped by during the Passing of Christ’s Peace to let us know we would be welcome to partake of Communion.

I noted a cross on the chancel and an interesting pattern of the painted wood paneled ceiling.

There was a prayer of dedication for the new cross on the steeple.

The congregation is searching for a new pastor and Pastor Susie was filling in. Her message today was from the Parable of the Wedding Feast in Matthew 22. The sermon developed easily and included application. To God’s glory, believers’ names are now on the guest list.

She interjected a story of a woman’s troubles with her VW Beetle and I was reminded of a prank when I was young. VWs were still new to Pittsburgh when two women in my church both bought one. There were few options then so they were the same color but parked on opposite sides of the street. The challenge was too much for some teenaged boys: we switched them and waited for the service to end. The concept that a couple of teens could move their car was beyond comprehension. Wish I could remember how it ended.

The pastor told the congregation how she prays her way through the church directory. What a powerful thing, to have the pastor praying for the individuals of the church.

We were addressed by name when we went up for Communion, a most friendly gesture.

We had a great few minutes with the pastor and others after the service. I wish we could have stayed for the social time after.


Jan’s thoughts:

This is one of the Lutheran churches that has been on our list for some time. It’s a lovely building, but the treasure is its people.

We were warmly greeted from the moment we entered the building, and a couple of gentlemen struck up a conversation with Bob about military service. By the time we entered the sanctuary, eight or 10 people had introduced themselves and welcomed us. During the Passing of the Peace more folks greeted us, and this continued even after worship ended.

Occasionally when we visit a church we encounter someone who is especially welcoming, someone with whom we just seem to click. Today we met a friend we had not met before who was warm and gracious. She stopped prior to worship to introduce herself and chat, and then again before Communion to let us know that theirs is an open table and we were welcome to partake. This sort of hospitality can make all the difference for first-time visitors, and we deeply appreciated her kindness.

The church is between pastors at the moment, but as this is a Communion Sunday here, Pastor Susie, who lives nearby and serves part-time, preached and administered Communion. Physically Pastor Susie has several challenges, but her voice and faith are strong, along with her sense of gratitude.

Pastor Susie’s untitled message was a strong warning not to make excuses or put off accepting the invitation of the King of Kings. I appreciated her reminder that “because Jesus was snubbed, our names are on the guest list.”

We were delighted to take part in Communion and I was touched when Pastor Susie handed me the Bread, spoke to me and called me by name.

We appreciated the time taken by these new friends to chat after worship and we were overjoyed for the opportunity to lay hands on and pray for Pastor Susie.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we pray for this church as well as the spiritual leader You are preparing for them. We trust Your care in this time of preparation and Your timing in bringing them together. Amen.

No comments: