Sunday, January 14, 2018

First Presbyterian Church of New Brighton

Today we worshiped at First Presbyterian Church of New Brighton, 1199 Third Avenue, New Brighton, PA 15066, 724.846.6144, www.FPCofNB.org, Rev. Robert W. Goossen, Pastor.


Scripture – 1 Samuel 3:1-10 NKJV

Now the boy Samuel ministered to the LORD before Eli. And the word of the LORD was rare in those days; there was no widespread revelation. And it came to pass at that time, while Eli was lying down in his place, and when his eyes had begun to grow so dim that he could not see, and before the lamp of God went out in the tabernacle of the LORD where the ark of God was, and while Samuel was lying down, that the LORD called Samuel. And he answered, “Here I am!” So he ran to Eli and said, “Here I am, for you called me.”

And he said, “I did not call; lie down again.” And he went and lay down.

Then the LORD called yet again, “Samuel!”

So Samuel arose and went to Eli, and said, “Here I am, for you called me.” He answered, “I did not call, my son; lie down again.” (Now Samuel did not yet know the LORD, nor was the word of the LORD yet revealed to him.)

And the LORD called Samuel again the third time. So he arose and went to Eli, and said, “Here I am, for you did call me.”

Then Eli perceived that the LORD had called the boy. Therefore Eli said to Samuel, “Go, lie down; and it shall be, if He calls you, that you must say, ‘Speak, LORD, for Your servant hears.’ ” So Samuel went and lay down in his place.

Now the LORD came and stood and called as at other times, “Samuel! Samuel!” And Samuel answered, “Speak, for Your servant hears.”


Bob’s thoughts:

We were redirected this morning, and since the heat quit working in my truck, we were happy to find a service that started soon.

This is an old Presbyterian church with outstanding woodwork. The dark woodwork frames the off-white wall where the wooden cross is displayed.

When it is this cold out, it always makes me wonder what it takes to warm a church this size for Sunday service.

The pastor serves a second church also, so it was great to have some time before the service.

The Passing of Christ’s Peace brought everybody to the center aisle and we were warmly greeted.

The children receiving a treat after their message reminded me of a pastor who did that with the idea that it would be a one-time treat.

The message, “Hearing Aids Needed,” developed from the story of God calling Samuel. He mentioned about a newer hearing aid that, amongst some other cool features, had a mute capability…I like that.

With Samuel’s response to God I thought “Here I Am, Lord” would have been a good hymn choice. Two of the songs today were strong reminders of our son’s death and memorial service, which God still uses to get our attention.

When He is calling, how do we answer? We have the opportunity every day to tell our story of our faith walk.

How is God trying to use you? Will you be quiet or will you say, “Here I am, Lord?”

We were honored to lay on hands for ordination.

A personal highlight for me was when I saw glitter on some of the pew pads, it reminded me of a sweet little girl who wore glitter to worship.


Jan’s thoughts:

Because of a slow-moving salt truck we would have been late, we decided to go to a church other than where we planned, which is how we ended up here. Sometimes all I can say is that God works in mysterious ways.

We got through the snow and ice and up the steps, grateful to find the door unlocked and warmth on the other side. Not just heat, but a warm greeting from one of the few people there at that point along with a warm conversation with the pastor. Several other folks welcomed us as well.

I was immediately captivated by all the detailed, intricate stained glass and very dark wood throughout the sanctuary.

As we settled in our seats near the heat and looked at our bulletins, we noted two songs that were included in this Order of Worship: “It Is Well With My Soul” and “As the Deer,” both inextricably bound to our son’s death and memorial service. My first thought was, how could God lead us here knowing that BOTH of those songs were part of this service? But there was no denying He’d brought us here…there must be a reason. So I determined to be patient.

The sermon, “Hearing Aids Needed,” was a reminder that sometimes we need others to help us hear what God is trying to say to us and other times we are the one who can help another to hear God. The pastor mentioned that just as we are called to be the hands and feet of Jesus, in some instances we are called to be the voice of Jesus where we are given the opportunity to be spiritual guides by speaking words for faith in gentle but potent ways. He called it “engaging in faithful risk with words of hope, love, and faith.”

I was pleased to participate in the Ordination and Installation of Elders and Deacons through the laying on of hands and prayer for these servants.

I wish I could say I had a clear indication from God as to our purpose there today, but I will continue to be patient. God gives understanding in His own time. But sometimes I feel like I need a hearing aid.


Our prayer for this church:
Jesus, we pray You will use the members of Your Body with whom You have blessed this Church, and guide them as they seek to use their gifts to Your glory. We lift up their leaders as they work to discern Your will. Amen

No comments: