Sunday, March 11, 2018

Harmony Baptist Church

Today we worshiped at Harmony Baptist Church, 4103 Ellwood Road, New Castle, PA 16101, 724.924.9300, www.myharmonybaptistchurch.org, Pastor Jeff MacKay.


Scripture – NKJV

Romans 8:28-29 –

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters.

Mark 6:7-13 –

Calling the Twelve to him, he began to send them out two by two and gave them authority over impure spirits.

These were his instructions: “Take nothing for the journey except a staff—no bread, no bag, no money in your belts. Wear sandals but not an extra shirt. Whenever you enter a house, stay there until you leave that town. And if any place will not welcome you or listen to you, leave that place and shake the dust off your feet as a testimony against them.”

They went out and preached that people should repent. They drove out many demons and anointed many sick people with oil and healed them.


Bob’s thoughts:

We were warmly welcomed by the usher at the door, the pastor, and many others. The pastor pointed out the sanctuary and rest room locations, though I didn’t see signage for either. Many people stopped by our pew to welcome us while I got to admire the great wooden cross with a wide drape. The ceiling is a moderate arch with engineered beams over knotty pine; the acoustics were good.

The pastor had just returned from a family trip south and spoke about the churches where they worshiped while there; somewhat of a taste of what we do. He referred to a question raised there, “Do you know more about Christ than you did last year?” A good question about our growth.

I realized today that the paper outline of the message probably helps with the congregation’s retention of the sermon.

The highlight of the message for me was the pastor relating his encounter and witness to their gas repair man. We often get that whisper from God to witness, to tell our story. You are never wrong to speak up.

A major change came for me when one of our sons was killed. My therapy was to talk about it and tell people about him. My ministry improved so much because of my passion. My healing came from this witness. I joke that at times it was by force and there may be some truth to that, but I talked to Christians and those of other faiths, and some who held no beliefs.

Years ago, I was lamenting how little reaction I noticed when I would wear one of my Christian T-shirts into a secular setting like Kennywood Park. Then I realized I may never know how God used that witness; it may not have been the person who saw my Christian message but one they told or who they asked about it. Never hesitate to tell your story…Christ may have you there for just that opportunity.

The gas repair man may not have gotten the message, maybe he didn’t need it, and maybe somebody will be saved when the story is relayed down the road. Let Christ use you, it feels great.

I missed a time of confession before Communion and the elements were shared silently; from where we sat it didn’t look like the pastor was served.


Jan’s thoughts:

We visit many rural churches and each is as individual as the people who comprise it. This one was lovely with obvious attention paid to details. One such detail was the cross in the front draped in purple and featuring a crown of thorns. As if that were not enough, a small matching cross, including drape and crown, sat on each small window sill.

At first, I thought the Scripture verses on the walls were done with paint, but up close I could see they were cut out of black paper, obviously a labor of love.

When we arrived, as we stood inside I noticed the signage and the people not just milling about, but talking excitedly, greeting each other, and hugging. More of the same went on inside the sanctuary before worship, during the greeting time, and afterward. Many people stopped to introduce themselves and welcome us, and the pastor took time to greet and talk with us and provide directions on his way into the sanctuary.

The fair-sized sanctuary was nearly full, including the overflow space in a sort of balcony with its own entrance.

The bulletin included a flyer for a movie slated to open this coming Friday, March 16, called I Can Only Imagine…it is the story behind the MercyMe song of that title. I’m not sure I’ll be able to watch it, as this is one of the songs sung at our son’s memorial service. I’m sure it will be excellent and well worth watching.

The message was entitled Ministry Principles for “Sent Ones” and focused on “The Teaching Model of Jesus/The Pattern for Jesus’ Followers” – Follow Me, Be with Me, and Go as Me.” As the pastor put it: the call from Christ is a call to conversion (seeing Him for who He is), intimacy (spending time with Him), and mission (going out with Him).

He closed with the reminder that there is a reason we are where we are. I have been reminded of this regularly of late, so I felt like he was speaking to me. I guess I needed yet one more reminder, so I am passing it along.

I greatly appreciated that the service concluded with the Sacrament of Communion.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we pray You will encourage Your church to tell their story. May they boldly witness for You. Amen.

No comments: