Sunday, April 29, 2018

New Brighton United Methodist Church

Today we worshiped at New Brighton United Methodist Church, 1033 Sixth Avenue, New Brighton, PA 15046, 724.843.3774, www.nbumchurch.org, Rev. Scott Berkley, Pastor.


Scripture – NIV

Psalm 22:25-31 –

From you comes the theme of my praise in the great assembly; before those who fear you I will fulfill my vows. The poor will eat and be satisfied; those who seek the Lord will praise him— may your hearts live forever!

All the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations will bow down before him, for dominion belongs to the Lord and he rules over the nations.

All the rich of the earth will feast and worship; all who go down to the dust will kneel before him— those who cannot keep themselves alive. Posterity will serve him; future generations will be told about the Lord. They will proclaim his righteousness, declaring to a people yet unborn: He has done it!

John 21:15-19 –

When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”

“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”

Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”

The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”


Bob’s thoughts:

We were redirected from the church we were headed to this morning and surprised the worship start time was not what we expected.

We were welcomed warmly and given a tour of the basement kitchen and even into the boiler room.

This church is the outcome of three churches’ merging seemingly in harmony, unusual in church mergers.

The sanctuary has a large cross suspended, and I liked the ribbons over the wall sconces to resemble the Methodist flame emblem.

The woman who showed us the military honor wall, which I was pleased to see, told us her husband is a Marine and he came by later to talk.

I missed not seeing any children or young people for that matter, and I also found no signage.

There is a banner depicting Christ’s empty tomb but from where I was sitting I was sure it was an upside-down kitten. I wish I’d gotten a better look.

Most of the time I was lost during the hymns because I could not hear the choir.

The pastor referred to the governor who ran for mayor because at that level he could do something to help. I was reminded of when my brother was a state representative and wanted me to run for some office. I told him I was willing to be a Justice of the Peace or God, but I would want a job where I could help.


Jan’s thoughts:

A gentleman opened the door for us as we entered, greeted us, and then took the time to give us some history and a tour. This congregation resulted from the merger of three churches which, from all accounts, truly became one congregation.

When we returned to the sanctuary following our tour, I noticed a hospitable touch: small bottles of water in several locations in the rear of the worship area for anyone in need.

A number of people extended an invitation us to join them at the lunch following worship but we had to decline as we had other plans.

“Three Threes” was the sermon title, which referred to Jesus’ restoration of Peter by asking three times “Do you love Me?” With compassion, Christ “brought Peter through boasting and denial to discipleship.” The lesson was summed up in one statement: to love God, love the people God loves.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, we pray You will breathe the Spirit anew on Your church. Encourage them and continue to grow their faith. Amen.

No comments: