Sunday, May 20, 2018

The Galilean Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at The Galilean Presbyterian Church, 201 Madison Street, PO Box 247, New Galilee, PA 16141, 724.336.5660, www.thepresbyterianchurchofnewgalilee.org, Rev. C.F. Hoffman, Pastor.


Scripture – NIV

Acts 2:1-21 –

When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.

Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven. When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard their own language being spoken. Utterly amazed, they asked: “Aren’t all these who are speaking Galileans? Then how is it that each of us hears them in our native language? Parthians, Medes and Elamites; residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya near Cyrene; visitors from Rome (both Jews and converts to Judaism); Cretans and Arabs—we hear them declaring the wonders of God in our own tongues!” Amazed and perplexed, they asked one another, “What does this mean?”

Some, however, made fun of them and said, “They have had too much wine.”

Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: “Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. These people are not drunk, as you suppose. It’s only nine in the morning! No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

“ ‘In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy. I will show wonders in the heavens above and signs on the earth below, blood and fire and billows of smoke. The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord. And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’

Philippians 4:4-7 –

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


Bob’s thoughts:

We set out to visit a nearby church this morning, but we got there early and were ignored. We were hoping to celebrate Pentecost, so after a drive to a coffee shop, God led us to a Presbyterian church that was observing the occasion. Several people greeted us there.

There was a beautiful cross that looked like it had reflective red tape on the edges but when we went forward after the service we could see the internal red lights. It was most striking with the red drape. The sanctuary was decorated with red and orange, and I particularly liked the flower arrangement in the rear. My favorite, though, was the red ribbon streamers on the windows that blew in, quite appropriately.

In the message the pastor mentioned that God waits patiently for us and I thought back to when He claimed me. In my childhood I attended a church that became Methodist and have the Sunday School ribbon bars to prove I was there. I thought I was a Christian but lived a rough life for the first 50 years. When God claimed me, the change was overwhelming. My wife started calling me her second husband and our pastor started using me in his sermons (which he still does). I was ordained a deacon and an elder, became a lay pastor and the visitor greeter, and anything else that came my way.

I went from smoking six packs a day and drinking accordingly to being His servant. I believe He waited on me for those 50 years because I was so stubborn and so I would have those experiences as part of my witness. He has guided me to use what I was to witness for Him. The question was raised “Where is the joy?” Now I know that joy.

I enjoyed watching the children, as always. Communion was served, albeit silently, and I think the pastor served himself. I enjoyed talking to the pastor and some others after the service.


Jan’s thoughts:

It was an unusual morning. We arrived far too early at the church where we intended to worship. Since the sun was shining and the flowers smelled lovely, we decided to walk around this quiet neighborhood. Down the street we happened upon this PC(USA) church, then walked back to the one we planned to attend. When we went in, there was nowhere to go except the sanctuary where people were engrossed in a game and ignored us. After sitting there for 10 or 15 minutes, noting nothing to indicate Pentecost would be observed, no signage to indicate the location of a restroom, and no one who seemed at all interested in conversation, we left and went down the street to this church.

We encountered restrooms immediately upon entering the building, and the women in the kitchen welcomed us as we found our way. The ladies pointed the way toward the sanctuary, and others greeted us as we went.

I couldn’t help but admire the red, orange, and yellow decorations in observance of Pentecost, and most of the congregation sported red.

In addition to worship, the service included Communion, a new member, recognition of the Communicant’s class, and a Minute for Mission.

Most of the songs were contemporary and led only by a pianist.

The sermon was entitled “The Lord is Near” and I like the pastor was speaking directly to me. He assured that God has His ways of making His Presence known, that He waits patiently for us to understand. He gives us space to figure things out and to grow without forcing Himself on us. He prepares us, and at the right time, He gives us the opportunity to respond by stepping out in faith. The pastor acknowledged it often happens that we only see these things clearly when we do take that step in faith but encouraged me to rest assured that God is the God of creation and He is always creating something new.

We were kindly invited to attend the celebration luncheon following but had to decline.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, Your church is nestled in a community that needs You. We pray they might shine brightly in Your name. Amen.

No comments: