Monday, August 20, 2018

Calvin Presbyterian Church

Yesterday we worshiped at Calvin Presbyterian Church, 415 E. Grandview Avenue, Zelienople, PA 16063, 724.452.7560 www.calvinchurchzelie.org, Rev. Doug Gebhard, Interim Senior Pastor.


Scripture – 1 Kings 19:4-8 NKJV

But he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a broom tree. And he prayed that he might die, and said, “It is enough! Now, LORD, take my life, for I am no better than my fathers!”

Then as he lay and slept under a broom tree, suddenly an angel touched him, and said to him, “Arise and eat.” Then he looked, and there by his head was a cake baked on coals, and a jar of water. So he ate and drank, and lay down again. And the angel of the LORD came back the second time, and touched him, and said, “Arise and eat, because the journey is too great for you.” So he arose, and ate and drank; and he went in the strength of that food forty days and forty nights as far as Horeb, the mountain of God.


Bob’s thoughts:

We heard about the service in Fred Rogers’ honor and came to visit. It has been a good while since we last worshiped here and I forgot about their large carved cross. We were warmly welcomed by the Associate Pastor.

I don’t know if a bass is usually part of the praise band, but it sure was a highlight for a Fred Rogers service.

I worked for a while in the motion picture industry, and Fred’s film was one that we processed. He walked in one day when I was in the hallway, dirty and stained from the chemicals I was working around. Fred stopped to chat about what I did there, and surprisingly, said hello when he was on the way out with the owner of the company.

The pastor talked about being Christ-like to our neighbors, and how we don’t always see the angels that help and guide us.

At our old family church, when Christ first called me, I talked to the young children (my favorite people) about angels. They said sure, and pointed to where the angels sat in the balcony, the one that had been removed 40 years before.

A highlight phrase: “Let some word that is heard be Yours.”

Communion was passed silently in the pews, but the pastors were served. I noticed a great innovation: the juice tray was labeled as to juice or wine.

We stayed for coffee after but everyone was busy talking to each other…maybe because there are two services.


Jan’s thoughts:

We knew it had been some time since we visited here (I learned it was five years ago), so when Bob came across an announcement that this service would be a tribute to Mr. Rogers, we decided to join them in worship.

This congregation is in the midst of an interim period, which they appear to be excited about and using to full advantage, which I find refreshing. Some of that may have to do with the stability provided by the continued presence of the Associate Pastor, Connie Frierson.

We were welcomed by several people sitting nearby, and the first time a song was sung from the hymnal, the gentleman next to us handed me the hymnal with the correct page bookmarked.

I expected traditional music, so was pleasantly surprised by the enthusiasm of the contemporary musicians. The musical selections included pieces by Loudon Wainwright III (“Hank and Fred”), Fred Rogers (“It’s You I Like”, “It’s Such a Good Feeling”, and “I Like You As You Are”) and Bob Dylan (Man Gave Names To All The Animals”), so the advance notice that this service would be “different” was spot on.

The sermon was offered by the Interim Senior Pastor and entitled “Helpers”, in reference to the quote from Fred Rogers: “When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, ‘Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.’ ”

He began by telling a bit about his personal friendship with Mr. Rogers, also a Presbyterian minister. He spoke of “helping” angels in Scripture, particularly the ones that helped Elijah. And when he pointed out that the angel ministered to Elijah not once, but twice, he emphasized that sometimes we humans need to hear a message more than once for it to “get through.” I can definitely identify.

He closed with the clip of Fred Rogers’ acceptance speech when he received the Lifetime Achievement Award in 1997. It’s pure Fred Rogers, and if you’ve not seen it, it’s worth watching on YouTube.

In his closing prayer, he included a phrase he learned from Fred: “Let some word that is heard be Yours.” In my opinion, that should always be the prayer of a preacher—indeed, anyone seeking to influence others, whatever the venue.

I was pleased we could participate in Communion as well as stay for coffee afterward.


Our prayer for this church:
Lord, please bless this congregation’s efforts to grow Your church and encourage them to be “angels” in Your name. Amen.

No comments: