Sunday, October 7, 2018

Southminster Presbyterian Church

Today we worshiped at Southminster Presbyterian Church, 799 Washington Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15228, 412.343.8900, www.spchurch.org, Rev. Dr. Daniel B. Merry, Senior Pastor.


Scripture – 2 Timothy 3:16-17 NIV

All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.


Bob’s thoughts:

We were early and I was able to finish my coffee and partake of a donut.

I am always happy to find a cross here and appreciated the banners.

I realized we visited for a previous sermon from this man and was hoping for more. I turned my hearing aids up but still had trouble understanding some of the message. I question architectural and geographical references as being prime authenticators of Scripture. It was an important point that God was declaring the value of women.

I enjoyed Pastor Dan relating how during his time in Malawi he would be asked to what tribe he belonged. The concept that Americans do not have tribes was not believable to his Malawian friends, so he claimed the Steeler Nation as his tribe.

On a regular basis, when I am at the VA, people inquire knowingly that I am a WWII vet. For a long time I offered that my time of service was Vietnam but realized it’s much easier (and I guess believable) to just speak of a WWII battle and everybody is happy.

I enjoyed the children’s message especially because the speaker’s body language captivated the children.


Jan’s thoughts:

We arrived early enough at the 9 a.m. service that we had time to partake of coffee and donuts and enjoy conversation with some friends.

The room filled up slowly, as is usual with contemporary worship services, and the rear of the room is set up for parents to sit with their little ones while they play during the service. They are also conveniently nearby when it’s time for the children’s message.

The message was presented by Karl Hudson, the Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries. It was part four of a series called Believe, and this entry was titled Just Fairy Tales. In it, Karl stated many people have issues with trusting the truth of the Bible, but we should not mistrust it just because we don’t completely understand it. There is an abundance of proof, there are statements from eyewitnesses, and archeological finds that speak to the credibility of Scripture.

He pointed out that as a youth director, he loves to read Scripture to children, but the support of parents is a crucial component of helping youth to internalize God’s Word.

I was glad to be able to participate in World Communion Sunday.


Our prayer for this church:
Father, we pray Your continued blessings on Your church as they work to discern the person You are sending to lead them. Amen.

No comments: